Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

powering off a monitor wakes up my Mac

Hello,

If I put my Mac Pro to sleep/hibernate and then power off my monitor (NEC MultiSync PA271W) connected via DVI, Mac wakes up.

What of my settings might be wrong?

P.S. when mac sleeps monitor sleeps too, however in some cases I prefer monitor's LED to be off.

Thank you.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 6Core 3.33GHz 24GB 4x3TB HDD+SSD

Posted on May 31, 2011 7:04 PM

6 replies

Jun 1, 2011 10:52 PM in response to Munas

I suspect that powering off the NEC is something similar to when you wake your computer with, say, clicking the mouse or keyboard, and the mac wakes up. So there's nothing wrong with any settings you can set to change this. However there is a way to handle this!

I recommend you get a Sears Craftsman Automatic Power Switch (model #24031). It has one master plug and two slaves. The slaves are off if no (significant?) power is being drawn from the master. So plug your computer into the master and the monitor into one of the slaves (or a power strip plugged into one of the slaves). Now when you sleep your computer or turn it off the power will drop on the monitor.

I used to use these things for years on my old computer that had two VGA's. It would allow me to turn off the VGA's when the computer was shut off. Mac pro's sleep a lot more "soundly" than my old machine :-) Thus even sleeping the mac pro is enough to turn off the slaves. Of course these days on my mac pro all I have on the slaves is a power strip for any possible future connections that I might need to turn off when I sleep or shut down (for exmaple like routers, printers, etc.).

Jun 2, 2011 11:31 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

After little research it seams I understood why it is happening....

I use my monitors USB hub to connect keyboard (it is closer than my Mac's USB ports). Mac that listens its USB ports reacts on power off change on it.

The workaround I found is to power off the monitor immediately after I wish sweet dreams to my Mac and press Option-Command-Eject (while the Mac is still preparing for hibernation).

If I do it a moment later - mac comes back to login status.

The only think to remember is: as I use monitor's usb to connect my keyboard - I could not wake up my Mac using keyboard touch if the monitor is off. However, this is not a problem, as powering on the monitor wakes up the Mac.

powering off a monitor wakes up my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.