Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"this message was downloaded as plain text"

Hi!

Using exchange on My iPad i get this often when receiving relatively small HTML formatted emails. I get quite a lot of them every day from servers I'm monitoring as reports. Scrolling to the bottom of every mail tapping on then download full message button is annoying to say the least. Is there really no way of getting iPad/ iPhone to download the full message instead of downloading it as plain text? Other HTML mail download just fine most of the time.

Hasse

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 31, 2011 11:51 PM

12 replies

Apr 3, 2017 1:01 AM in response to levtech

Hello Apple IOS Technical Support,

I have some issue from iPhone/iPad (IOS 10) with ActiveSync (Exchange 2013 SP1) and I see this message was downloaded as plain text (Download full message). You can see from picture.

How to fix and Force email download in HTML or text format on iPhone/iPad (IOS 10) with ActiveSync (Exchange 2013 SP1)

If email message size Less than 1 mb can open message normal html format, but message larger than 1 mb and then convert to plain text alert message "Download full message"

You can help me to fix this issue.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jun 1, 2011 7:12 AM in response to Dadof2Girls

Hi!

the emails are from different servers but containing the same type of report. it contains a formatted report with some images and text. The account type is Exchange and the server is Exchange 2007. turning off SSL is no option since the server demands it. Anyone else have any suggestion?

What, in general causes this to happen?

Dec 27, 2011 10:47 AM in response to Driver28

I know this is months down the road, but I think I might be seeing the same problem. Our Chief Operating Officer is having this issue as well.

1) If an HTML email is sent with an attachment (in this case, an Excel spreadsheet around 146K in size), the email is downloaded as plain text unless the button is pushed,

2) If the EXACT SAME email is sent from the same sender without the attachment, the HTML content in the body is displayed correctly without needing to press the button.

My Google-fu isn't finding anything helpful here. Is there a setting anywhere (or a third-party mail app) that will force the HTML content to be displayed?

May 7, 2012 2:11 PM in response to TechMinds

No solution was found, however after some thought, it did make sense...sort of. It's a safety precaution. If you have an HTML email by itself, it's all fine and good. If you have a plain-text email with an attachment, no problem. But the moment you have HTML and an attachment, you have potentially executable code that could infect your device. It's Apple Paranoia, which comes standard with iOS.

My solution (which was rejected), was to provide the user with an Android device.

Sep 27, 2012 9:22 PM in response to Driver28

I have spent the last couple of days trying to figure this out. I'm sending reports to our CEO (telco) through SQL Server Reporting Services. The emails are in MHTML and when they exceed a certain size limit, the Mail app skips all pics (which look like attachments).

Since there is absolutely no documentation on the Mail app and no way to change its settings or debug it, I started trying to test with different email/attachment sizes. So far I've figured that all emails under ~140-150kb get downloaded in full. When I exceed the 140kb threshold, I start getting issues. Still, it seems like it's not a simple limit which governs what gets downloaded. When my email is heavy on the attachments, or contains only attachments, everything under 140ish kb seems to work fine. However, if I have some text, things get messier. I have a report which Outlook tells me is around 235kb and it renders ok, but when it gets to like 240kb, it doesn't.

All this leads me to think that Apple really should disclose any thresholds which are hardcoded in the Mail app (and yes, it's not an ActiveSync mailbox policy either since that's unlimited on our Exchange 2007 servers) if it wants to present its OS as a robust and enterprise-ready platform, which it currently is not. Even better, why not expose these so we can set them somehow? And why not rely on ActiveSync policies for these so we can manage this properly?

For now, our execs will be using PDFs until we get more info from Apple.

And no, it's not possible to drop SSL (how does this matter anyway?), or to change the sender. It's plain HTML, it renders fine under certain size and there is absolutely no excuse for not letting us know how this works.

"this message was downloaded as plain text"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.