Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google said something wierd is going on on my computer...

Today, when I woke up I had Google notice on my gmail account that something wierd is going on on my computer. I had to enter my telephone number, then Google sent me SMS with code so that I could enter my account. Then I had to change my password. In my mailbox I found that someone was sending mails from my e-mail acccount. How is that possible? Did someone break in my iMac? Do I need additional software for Firewall and Antivirus?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Kind regards,

Klemen

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 12:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 3:31 AM

Hello k:

I do not use Gmail. However, the problem is, I think, on the Google end. The mail resides on a Google server, not anything to do with Apple.

I seriously doubt if the penetration was to your Mac.

I would definitely not buy A/V software. There are NO viruses that affect a Mac running OS X - NONE.

You should, if you have not done so, be sure that the built-in OS X firewall is on.

FWIW, I had a similar problem with one of my AOL mail accounts. The problem was definitely on the AOL side.

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2011 3:31 AM in response to Klemen2801

Hello k:

I do not use Gmail. However, the problem is, I think, on the Google end. The mail resides on a Google server, not anything to do with Apple.

I seriously doubt if the penetration was to your Mac.

I would definitely not buy A/V software. There are NO viruses that affect a Mac running OS X - NONE.

You should, if you have not done so, be sure that the built-in OS X firewall is on.

FWIW, I had a similar problem with one of my AOL mail accounts. The problem was definitely on the AOL side.

Barry

Google said something wierd is going on on my computer...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.