Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anybody got a LaCie rugged SAFE Secure All-Terrain Hard Disk?

I bought a 500GB LaCie rugged SAFE Secure All-Terrain Hard Disk along with my new 13" MacBook Pro, but I've never been able to use the LaCie external hard disk so far. What's written in the instruction manual bears no relevance to what I see on screen. And the screenshot below is what I always see no matter

how I attach the hard disk to my MacBook Pro, no matter via FireWire 800 or USB:

User uploaded file

Is there anybody who would tell me how to get started with the LaCie rugged SAFE? Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 13.3" 2.7GHz 8GB RAM 500GB HDD

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 9:47 AM

10 replies

Jun 1, 2011 11:10 AM in response to Dream Cat

I don't have this model,but I have two LaCie's...... I'm assuming that the process would be the same even though yours is a different model and that screenshot is when you click on the LaCie icon on the desktop? If so, ignore that and try this:

Open Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities)

Wait until the laCie show up in the left column

Highlight the drive

Click on Partition

You can choose to leave it at one or divide it into 2 or more partitions - name each partition ("backup1")

the important things: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and, under Options: choose GUID partitions scheme to make it bootable.

Click Apply - it will wipe the drive and, when done, will be ready to use.

Jun 2, 2011 2:02 PM in response to Barney-15E

The Quick Install Guide says that I can register 1 to 10 users after installing the LaCie Safe Manager, but I can't. It just shows the "No LaCie device connected" screenshot I posted. And if I use Disk Utility, I can't do any partitioning or erasing as all the buttons are locked:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Surely I want to use the encryption feature; otherwise I would have just bought an ordinary LaCie rugged hard disk which is a lot cheaper.

Jun 2, 2011 2:22 PM in response to Dream Cat

Okay, I can't help with the encryption feature; so if there is no one who can help with that here, I would suggest contacting LaCie support since it is their product and software, especially if they claim that it is compatible with OS 10.6; however, as far as doing the other things:

From what I see in your disk utility screen shots, unless you change the partition scheme from "current" to anything else, none of the buttons will become active. So, is the "current" drop down tab active and available to change to, say, 2 partitions?

Jun 2, 2011 4:38 PM in response to Dream Cat

Did you install the software that came on the drive?

I imagine so, otherwise I don't suppose you'd see the screen you posted.

Was there more than one thing to install. I imagine it needs the software and some sort of driver to recognize the drive.

Are you running as an admin or standard user? Some really stupid programmers can't write software that will run on standard account.

Anybody got a LaCie rugged SAFE Secure All-Terrain Hard Disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.