Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ITunes will not start on my Toshiba Satellite Computer

I have installed Itunes 10.2.2 to my new Toshiba Satellite computer and when I open it I get an error message that says, "QuickTime was not found. QuickTime is required to run ITunes. Please uninstall Itunes and reinstall. I've done this about 6 times and keep getting same message. HELP PLEASE!!!

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 9:44 AM

14 replies

Jun 2, 2011 2:03 AM in response to everchris

Hi everchris bnoir asked me to drop by.

When you say cmb did not register, did you type cmb into your search box instead of cmd?

Click on the Windows symbol at the bottom left of your desktop and type CMD.

Click on CMD under "programs" at the top of the seach box.

A black Window should open.

Did you get that far?

If so lets try something simpler than my previous other post.

Copy & paste ( right click to paste) the following line into the cmd window.

echo %path%

Use the Windows Snipping tool to save an image for the result. Then add it you your next post using the little camera icon at the top of your edit window.

Here is my result:

User uploaded file

A suppimentary question, is your new PC a work PC set up by yoru IT departmetnt, or one that you have purchased for your self for your own use?

Sometimes things set up for work stop iTunes working at home.

Message was edited by: polydorus

Jun 3, 2011 9:17 AM in response to everchris

OK, I think you are trying to paste the path into the cmd Window.

You need to open Windows Explorer and paste into the address bar.

That's were it says libraries at the top.

User uploaded file

However I am guessing that the funny path I referred to earlier is a network drive accessible at work. If so your iTunes should open when you are at work.

So if it is a from a work network we will have to move to the end of the path.

I will be disappearing shortly so we will have to get to it tomorrow unless bnoir pops up again to talk you through it. He is in New Zealand's time zone.

I think the funny business with threads may be a glitch in the forum things have been a bit strange since the new format was introduced.

Jun 3, 2011 4:04 PM in response to polydorus

I will be disappearing shortly so we will have to get to it tomorrow unless bnoir pops up again to talk you through it. He is in New Zealand's time zone.

🙂 I think I might wait for polydorus here. I can sort of see what we need to do next, but because it's a shift of a path entry rather than a deletion, and because I've only got XP and Vista systems to refer to, I'm not sure how things are going to be appearing for you on your Windows 7. So I'm thinking it's prudent to have the person with the Windows 7 system do the walkthrough.

Jun 4, 2011 2:16 AM in response to b noir

This thread is behaving very strangely!

Anyway I am around on and off today.

First can you confirm that:

\\fumc40\winacs\ASCNET

is the the location that you cannot reach. I am guessing that refers to network drive at work, is that so?

Assuming that we need to move \\fumc40\winacs\ASCNET to the end of path, after quicktime.

Here are some instructions to get started. I will only take you up to the point where you can do the editing, don't try and change anything yet. I want to be sure it in necessary and that you can find the right place to do it.

You need to be in an Administrator account or be ready to enter an admin password when asked

First create a restore point:

You only need to do this before you do the actual editing, not this trial run.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-restore-point

Right Click on Computer and select Properties

Select Advanced System Settings>>Advanced tab

Click on Environment Variables

User uploaded file

Find Path in the lower box headed System Variables

Select Path then press Edit...

User uploaded file

An Edit box will open allowing you to edit Path.

User uploaded file

This is as far as I want you to at this stage, don't try and edit, just cancel. I just want know you can get here.

Jun 6, 2011 1:26 AM in response to everchris

Before starting set a restore point as in my previous instructions.

Editing path incorrectly can cause programs that use it to stop working, this is why you should to set a restore point.

Now go through the instructions until you have the edit box for PATH open.

You are going to move \\fumc40\winacs\ASCNET to the end of the list.

Click in the edit box and then scroll left until you find \\fumc40\winacs\ASCNET

Select: (left click&drag)

;\\fumc40\winacs\ASCNET

Don't miss out the semi colon at the start.

Then right click and select cut.

You should be left with a single semi colon separating the the two paths that were either side of the one you cut.

i.e. ...Live Shared;C:\WINACS

Now scroll to the right with the arrow key as far as you can go. That is past:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicktime\QTSystem

Right click and select Paste.

The end of the line should now be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicktime\QTSystem;\\fumc40\winacs\ASCNET

Note the semi colon separating the paths.

You can cancel at any point if you are unhappy with the result and you can scroll back & forth with the arrow keys to check things look OK.

Then save the result by clicking OK.

Restart you PC and check to see if iTunes works.

ITunes will not start on my Toshiba Satellite Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.