Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewall blocking Brother Scan to PC Button

Hi. Just got a new Brother 9970CDW printer and love it. I have two other Windows machines in the house and when I press the Scan to PC button on the printer it gives me the option to scan to a defined folder on the particular computer that I select on the network. And it works great. But when it comes to my MacBook running 10.6.7 it doesn't work unless I turn the application firewall off in system preferences. From the Brother manual it appears that UDP ports 54925 and 54926 and possibly 137 need to be open. The manual describes in detail how to do this for all flavors of Windows but nothing for OS X.

As I understand, OS X's firewall is an application firewall and has no option to open specific ports. The problem then becomes which piece of software do I add to get the firewall to open these ports. The Brother software did not install anything in my applications folder. If you go to HD/Library/Printers there is a Brother folder with what appears to be all of the drivers and software associated with this printer. I tried adding all of the applications in this area to the firewall and to no avail.

I guess I could just turn the firewall off when I'm home so that this functionality works but it seems like I there should be a way for the firewall to allow these ports open and not require me to manually turn the firewall on and off as I come and go from my home.

Thanks for any input.

Matt

Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 12:37 PM

Ok so I figured this one out on my own.

There is a file called NETserver that has to be added to the application Firewall settings. This file is located under Macintosh HD/Library/Printers/Brother/Server. Select the NETserver file and restart the computer and it should work for you. The key seems to be the restart. I have no clue why this is never mentioned in the Brother manuals but here it is.

One last thing that I found out as well. You need to uncheck the box for Enable stealth mode. Checking this box causes and error message to pop up on screen and it won't scan properly.

Hope this helps you.

Matt

Message was edited by: Mattness Added note about unchecking Enable stealth mode box.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2011 12:37 PM in response to Mattness

Ok so I figured this one out on my own.

There is a file called NETserver that has to be added to the application Firewall settings. This file is located under Macintosh HD/Library/Printers/Brother/Server. Select the NETserver file and restart the computer and it should work for you. The key seems to be the restart. I have no clue why this is never mentioned in the Brother manuals but here it is.

One last thing that I found out as well. You need to uncheck the box for Enable stealth mode. Checking this box causes and error message to pop up on screen and it won't scan properly.

Hope this helps you.

Matt

Message was edited by: Mattness Added note about unchecking Enable stealth mode box.

Firewall blocking Brother Scan to PC Button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.