Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to convert APE files to MP3

How do you convert APE files to MP3?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 2:29 PM

10 replies

Sep 1, 2014 5:59 AM in response to olifolif

APE format (also known as Monkey's Audio) is an algorithm and file format for lossless audio data compression, which is freely available to users with plug-ins for playback on most popular media players. However, the lack of cross-platform support makes it more limited for use.

From Macrumors, I just found the following solution:

Though there are many APE Converters available online, only few of them do support converting APE files. Even, most of them only enables to convert APE to one or two audio formats like APE to MP3 or APE to WAV, rather than almost all popular audio formats. And what's worse, those APE Converters are shot of the feature of splitting and converting CUE associated APE into individual MP3, WAV, FLAC, ALAC, etc files.

Here is a step by step guide on how to convert APE to MP3, WAV, FLAC, ALAC, etc.

Hope it will help you more or less.

Mar 25, 2015 8:45 AM in response to WhiteWaltersju

I know it's late but as I came here in hope for answers to the same problem I thought I'd pass on the solution I found and it's free!

X Lossless Decoder

X Lossless Decoder (XLD) is a tool for OS X that is able to decode/convert/play various 'lossless' audio files. The supported audio files can be split into some tracks with cue sheet when decoding.

XLD supports the following formats:

• (Ogg) FLAC (.flac/.ogg)
  • Monkey's Audio (.ape)
  • Wavpack (.wv)
  • TTA (.tta)
  • Apple Lossless (.m4a) [10.4 and later]
  • TAK (.tak) [Requires Wine]
  • Shorten (.shn) [SHN v3 only]
  • AIFF, WAV, etc.

Other formats supported by Libsndfile are also decodable. XLD uses not decoder frontend but library to decode, so no intermediate files are generated. All of the supported formats can be directly split with the cue sheet. XLD also supports so-called 'embedded' or 'internal' cue sheet.Currently you can choose output format from WAVE, AIFF, and Raw PCM. In addition, you can choose Ogg Vorbis (aoTuV), MPEG-4 AAC (QuickTime/CoreAudio), MP3 (LAME), Apple Lossless, and FLAC in the GUI version.

What's New

Version 20141129:

• Supported SACD .iso format in DSD decoder
  • Updated FLAC to version 1.3.1

Requirements

• Intel/PPC
  • OS X 10.4 or later

Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xld/files/xld-20141129.dmg/download?use_mirror=n etcologne

I've just tried it and it works perfectly (OS X Yosemite 10.10.2).

Oct 17, 2015 11:33 PM in response to olifolif

Another good and free audio, video, and image converter is Adapter by Macroplant. Free, no advertisements, no beg screen, no time limit. Download for 10.7 - 10.11 is here: https://www.macroplant.com/adapter/audio-converter/ It can also make animated GIFs

Basically, if FFMPEG can work with it (http://www.ffmpeg.org/general.html#Audio-Codecs) , Adapter can work with it for audio. It has a clean drag and drop interface (or you can browse, if you want, and select either whole folders or individual files), and can handle a queue of at least 200 files at a time. It can also use a cue file to break a FLAC up into different tracks if you need it to. One of the really nice things about Adapter is that it can automatically import converted files to your iTunes library, too!

How to convert APE files to MP3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.