Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 machines cannot "see" Mac Os X server 10.6

Hello,

I just setup a Mac Mini with Mac OS X Server 10.6 configured as an SMB fileserver for Windows 7 machines. The server is configured a a WINS server.

While Windows 7 client can access the server by typing \\serverIP\resource, the server icon doesn't appear in windows network window.

I tried many different things but I am out of ideas. How can Windows 7 machines "see" the server?

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 2:48 PM

5 replies

Jun 2, 2011 1:22 AM in response to S_eye

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for your answer. Both server and windows clients are on the same workgroup (set up on mac osx server SMB settings). I also put the server as a "workgroup master browser".

Enabling the WINS server on the mac os x server didn't have any effect (of course I set up the WINS server IP on the client machines).

The funny thing is that from Windows 7 PCs I can see other Vista and other windows 7 clients but no Windows XP clients. From Mac os X clients I can see other Mac os X machines and Windows XP machines. I am about to lose my sanity on this problem.

Cheers

Luca

Jun 2, 2011 3:23 AM in response to S_eye

I just forgoto to mention that:

All machines are on the same subnet, they are on a switched network (the only router in the network is an ADSL router that connect the network to the internet).

The machines are configured with Netbios over TCP (I am wondering if this is necessary since the network is switched)

Some one suggested that I could set up the Mac Os X server as an DHCP server with LDAP and this could solve my problem.

The users are complaining (most of them do not want to type "\\192.168.047\server" every time that they switch on the PC).

Windows 7 machines cannot "see" Mac Os X server 10.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.