Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn shuffle off on iPod touch?

Simple as that. I can't find it anywhere on my iPod Touch. It appears to be always in shuffle mode. I searched the discussions as most posts are from 2 to 6 years ago and describe a menu that is different from mine. Obviously the Shuffle button at the top of the playlist only shuffles, never unshuffles.

Thanx

Mac Pro 2.66 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 1:49 AM

Many thanks for pointing that out Ken. That shuffle feature has been driving me mad for weeks now. One shouldn't have to resort to googling an answer to something that should be intuitive. I wonder even if Apple monitor these forums in order to improve their products? I doubt it.

17 replies

Jun 2, 2011 9:12 AM in response to lllaass

No, it's not about 'shake to shuffle.' That's off. I just meant how to turn off shuffle on a playlist. I dug down through the forums and found the answer; you have to bring up the album art of the piece that's currently playing, then tap the screen, then the icons that control playlist order appear. If an icon is blue the function is on, if white it's off. Now that's not at all like the usual intuitive interface that the iPod is famous for. The control should be at the top of the playlist, not buried under individual tunes in my opinion. (I'm bringing this up because apparently lots of people ask this question on these forums.)

Apr 2, 2013 11:30 AM in response to Ken Spiker

Thank you, Ken for explaining the steps. Even now, a couple years later and I had this exact question. I tried all sorts of things like resyncing library from iTunes, etc. only to find it is a hidden little icon on the album art. In my case the shuffle icon has two states, gray (off) or orange (on) and looks like a couple of arrows crossing over each other.

May 21, 2013 10:33 AM in response to Ken Spiker

I listen mainly to classical music - which iPod doesn't seem to know about. For example, to select a symphony to be played, you can't just import it from a CD: each movement then becomes a 'song' and gets listed individually. I've been laboriously renaming all 4 movement tracks to the symphony title (e.g. 'Mozart Sym#40'). Then I can select 'Mozart Sym#40' on the iPod album list and get the whole symphony.

But then iPod, in its wisdom, decides I want by default to shuffle 'songs', so I might get movement #3, then #1, then #4, then #2 ! Why doesn't iPod have its usual slick design and allow you to set defaults for classical music users: i.e. play all albums in track order, i.e. no shuffling; set album=the title of a multi-movement work during import. Settings, Music lets you turn on 'Shake to Shuffle' ..... why not a 'Shuffle on-off' option?

Does anyone know a quick (preferably default for all albums) way to turn Shuffle off?

How do I turn shuffle off on iPod touch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.