Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

address booking syncing issues with BMW

Until Thursday last week my iphone 4 address book synced up with my 2nd gen BMW i-drive telephone fine (this is the hard drive based system in a late BMW 5 Series E60)

I tried my wife iphone 3GS and it works fine pull the address book in straight away so I dont think its the car. When I check my iphone 4 it via the bluetooth menu "other groups" uunder contacts as well as displaying "all contacts" in shows 8 untitled group files none of these have anything in them could this be the problem?

Ive tried the obvious deleting the iphone from the car pairing and deleting the BMW on the iphone and then going through the re-pairing process. Ive disabled Wi-Fi, re-set the iphone etc but every time the iphone connects to the car I can receive calls and make calls with numbers in the car permanent memory but the car telephone says bluetooth is transferring data and both the car & iphone show a spinning circle but nothing transfers.

Has anyone else has this issue and did you overcome it?

Thanks for any assistance.

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 3:21 AM

8 replies

May 23, 2017 1:43 AM in response to Russell Bowen

I'm getting this problem with my new (to me) 2010 3 series. Is there a solution? It's extremely annoying as I drive to a lot of new places and use the Sat Nav heavily. I'm currently having to enter everything manually. I'm reluctant to go to BMW as I had something similar before and was charged £50 to diagnose the issue, even though they couldn't fix it.

Jun 16, 2011 1:03 AM in response to Nova Invicta

I have a Volvo XC60 MY 2011 with built in bluetooth with firmware release 04.23_R. No issues in connecting and calling, but since I upgraded to IOS 4.3, I can't see all my contacts, but just some of them.from the car's menu. Local Volvo says it is an issue with the IOS and loaded the new FW version for the car, but no improvements, so i think it's an IOS 4.3. issue (currently I have 4.3.3). Does anyone has more suggestion ?

Jul 18, 2012 2:27 PM in response to Nova Invicta

Not sure this is the same problem, It is possible to use the contacts in the iPhone to automatically put in a destination into the BMW navigation. Each time I try to use an address in the united kingdom, it defaults to Holland! I have worked out this is because the BMW address system uses "Great Britain" and apple uses "United Kingdom". So when the map tries to compare the contry, it does not know what United Kingdom is and defaults to Holland! I could edit each address and save it to the car as Great Britian, but that is a lot of hard work! Is there any way to change United Kingdom in the address book to Great Britian ?

Sep 13, 2012 2:31 AM in response to rdanh

Well, it is a little complicated. Firstly you need to have an Apple Macbook. Secondly your contacts have to be on the cloud. If you go to your Macbook, open the address book and it will let you change the country by typing in the country rather than a drop down list.

Then it will update your iPhone over the cloud. You cannot do this with the iPad's version of the Address book, has to be the Macbook version, do not know why!

Hope this helps

Jul 4, 2013 12:22 AM in response to happyandrew

Regarding address book contacts with "United Kingdom" as country and BMW satnav failing to recognise it and presenting it as Niederlande (Netherlands) instead when trying to use it as a navigation destination .... can other BMW drivers check this and report their findings?

To repeat this you have to have a contact in your phone - with a full street address and the contact country set to "United Kingdom" (Apple does not offer "Great Britain") then sync the phone to the car over Bluetooth. Then from BMW Navigation screen chose to navigate to a new destination and use the Address Book and then choose to view the contacts that were imported and select one with country set to "United Kingdom". This should show the correct details - select that entry and then, if you have this problem, you should see that when the navigation software tries to locate the destination it has changed the country to "Niederlande" and, of course, will not be able to find the street that you have asked for (if it does - then don't drive to it because it will be a longer drive than you expected!).

I am trying to get my BMW dealer interested in this as an issue to chase with BMW - but they say that no-one else has ever reported it to them.

I gave them a demo of the problem and their view was ... BMW uses "Great Britain" not "United Kingdom" so it is working as designed.

My view - this should be something that is really easy for BMW to resolve and it might already be resolved if I can persuade the dealer to install a software update.

My car reports a version for the Bluetooth software as 9231091

and the navigation software is: ECE BMW 1.8.2 Road Map Europe MOTION 2009-2

address booking syncing issues with BMW

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.