Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync Documents?

Is it possible to sync the documents on my iPad and the ones on my iPhone?

Regards.

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 2:15 PM

For those who haven't followed the communities titles, this relates to Pages and Numbers, documents.

Documents in my iPad Pages folder do not (seem to) sync with the Pages folder on my iPhone.

Why?

4 replies

Jun 8, 2011 11:47 AM in response to liam587

Hi liam587,

I think you will have to sync them through your computer, which is really not syncing them in that updating one will not automatically update the others, but it is more like sharing the document between them. As you update a document you can move it between devices. You could do this through iTunes on your computer.

The most complete instructions I've found is in the iWork Help on the iOS device.

For example, on my iPad the instructions are found within a Pages Document > Wrench icon (Tools) > Help > Share documents > Share files through iTunes

Of course Help also lists other methods: Share files over a remote server, Share documents on iWork.com public beta, and Email documents.

Here's what it says about moving Pages files around via iTunes. The same applies to the others (Numbers, Keynote).

Export a document to your computer:

1. Open the document you want to export, and then tap in the toolbar.
  2. Tap “Share and Print,” and then tap “Copy to iTunes.”
  3. Tap the document format you want to export to: Pages, PDF, or Microsoft Word.
  4. Connect your mobile device to your computer and open iTunes on your computer. After a moment, your mobile device appears in the left side of the iTunes window (under Devices).
  5. In iTunes, select your mobile device, and then click Apps.
  6. Scroll to the bottom of the Apps window, and then select Pages (in the Apps list under File Sharing).
  7. Select the name of the document you want to transfer to your computer and click “Save to.”
  8. In the window that appears, navigate to the location where you want to store the document, and then click Choose.

Import a document from your computer:

1. Connect your mobile device to your computer and open iTunes on your computer. After a moment, your mobile device appears in the left side of the iTunes window (under Devices).
  2. In iTunes, select your mobile device, and then click Apps.
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the Apps window and select Pages in the Apps list (under File Sharing).
  4. Click Add, and then locate the document you want to import in the “Choose a File: iTunes” window that appears.
  5. Select the file, and then click Choose.
  6. Open Pages on your mobile device.
  7. In Documents view, tap + , and then tap iTunes.
  8. Tap the name of the document you want to import.
  9. The document downloads to your mobile device and appears in Documents view.
  10. When you import a Pages document that contains footnotes or endnotes, you can edit their content, but you can’t create new ones. Imported tables of contents are displayed but can’t be updated on your mobile device. After you export your document back to your Mac, you can update its table of contents

Does that work for you?

ivan

Sync Documents?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.