Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i add a new language to iOS?? do i have to create a language pack to do it??

how can i add a new language to iOS?? do i have to create a language pack to do it?? PLEASE help...

iPhone 3GS, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 9:56 AM

15 replies

Jun 4, 2011 11:09 PM in response to K T

yes a new language.. do i have to create a language pack?? or any other way.. i need to make my device display in "sinhala" langauge which is used in my country (Sri Lanka) and not yet available in iOS.. is this possible?? seeking help very badly...
PLEASE help...

😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟😟

Jun 5, 2011 3:29 AM in response to shafna

shafna wrote:

i need to make my device display in "sinhala" language

What do you mean by "display"? If it is just to read and write the script for email and websites, then all you need is a Unicode font and a keyboard layout. iOS already has the font: Sinhala Sangam MN. So it can already display Unicode Sinhala (ΰ·ƒΰ·’ΰΆ‚ΰ·„ΰΆ½) text. Non-unicode Sinhala would never be supported.

If you need to have the entire user interface in Sinhala, then you have to add all the localization files which translate every menu, dialog, and warning into that language.

Jun 5, 2011 6:13 AM in response to shafna

shafna wrote:

what about the keyboard?? is that available or do i have to create that too???

Yes, you would have to create a keyboard layout. There is, however, an app called IndicNotes which already has layouts for several other languages, and it would probably be easy to modify that (or ask the author to do so).

Have you already joined the iOS developer program?

http://developer.apple.com/technologies/ios/

Jun 24, 2013 8:50 AM in response to shafna

Hi Shafna,

I been googling for this answer also. I am a Cambodian so I wanna translate ios display language to my langauge (Khmer) too but I didn't find any tutorial.

Did you know how to create/make it already? If you do please share me the ideas of how to make it or at least where can I start looking. You can contact me

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

<Email Edited by Host>

how can i add a new language to iOS?? do i have to create a language pack to do it??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.