Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help!! Can't Sync ROland VS1680 to Logic for Dumping Audio Tracks!!!

Syncing external Device issue. Please HELP!! I'm a BRAND NEW USER!!!

Logic Pro

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 11:10 AM

5 replies

Jun 2, 2011 11:50 AM in response to Doriel Demps

Doriel Demps wrote:

Syncing external Device issue. Please HELP!! I'm a BRAND NEW USER!!!

More info, how do you want to dump the tracks, what kind of connection are you using, what kind of computer... do you have a separate audio interface?

We're not magicians, this is a user only forum, anyone that offers info is basically volunteering their time.

You have the Logic manuals, as they will might be used for reference.

pancenter-

Mar 17, 2012 4:11 PM in response to Doriel Demps

The primary problem that is typically encountered using Logic Pro 8 is latency with regard to syncing with the VS1680.

IF.... your recorded tracks have at least a two second pre-record then the latency problem goes away and the following works quite well.

1. Attach your VS1680 to your Mac via Optical Fiber. SP/DIF. Please note that this is NOT ADAT.

(ADAT allows the transfer of multiple tracks and SP/DIF only allows mono or stereo)

2. Attach your MIDI In device to MIDI Out on the VS1680.

In system Sound preferences choose your optical input.

VS1680 settings.

Select MIDI and make certain that the VS1680 is MASTER.

Select SYNC and place the sync generator to MTC.

Logic Pro settings.

Select your Audio preferences and choose your computer's digital "optical" input.

Select Sync (the button to the right of the SMPTE code display and left of the Metronome in the Arrange window)

(this atuomatically places Logic Pro into MIDI SLAVE.... if you look at your synchronization settings you will see the sate change from internal to MTC)

.... if you encounter any problems, right click on the Sync button previously mentioned, then custom configure the trasnport by checking the sync box....

From here, each track and take from the VS1680 must be input one-at-a-time. (the VS1680 does NOT support optical ADAT)

The advantage to these settings is that a sync is produced. (basically a zero start time)

The "sync" works like this.

You select your Logic track for recording and press the record button in Logic.

Logic will NOT record until you press the PLAY button on the VS1680 because Logic is now the MIDI Slave and the VS1680 is now the MIDI Master.

Logic will also stop recording when you hit the Stop button on the VS1680.... or when you push Stop on the Logic transport control.

This is where the latency problem may or may not arise with regard to your computer and components.

In most cases there will be roughly a 1-2 second latency error where the first part of the track will not be recorded. (it simply takes that long to "sync" on some systems)

IF.... you have at least a two second pre-record on your VS1680 tracks, this will not be a problem at all.

( if you find a way to use some kind of offset, please let me know, I have not fond one yet)

Finally:

If you do not have a pre-record section on the track, then you Will be forced to manually align the tracks because you will be forced to record them manually without any sync.

(the entire track can be recorded without any loss by Not selecting sync in Logic and simply manually recording your audio from optical input.... in which case Logic is internally synced)

If the slight latency is not a problem.... this method Will Sync All Tracks from any VS1680 song project.

My advice:

Before you transfer your VS1680 tracks with this method remove ALL VS1680 effects prior to record so that you can re-master them in Logic.

By the way:

You CAN make a permanent backup of VS1680 files with your Mac very easily with only one restriction.

ALL track and songs must be on one of the first 4 partitions (0-3).

Simply read the VS1680 hard drive, (I use a Firewire ATA enclosure but have since placed all on 2.5" SATA SSD drives), and burn them to disc.

My VS1680 drives all use 2GB partitions for up to 16 GB.

I make a disc image (dmg) from each of the partitions named or documented with what is contained within them as read by the VS1680. I then remove these songs and move in whatever other songs I may have on partitions 4-7. (a tedious process requiring an external drive of some sort)

In the end, I burn the files to CD, DVD, or Blu Ray by adding the disc images as appropriate.

I now have permanent backup of ALL my VS1680 files.

KEEP THIS IN MIND!

These files can only be read by the VS1680 and are gibberish to all other machines. Backup means copying one of the partition disc images to one of the first 4 (0-3) partitions of a VS1680 formatted hard drive. ( tested and works perfectly)

Those interested in extracting these mutliple track VS1680 files should seek the notes about Reaper on the web. (a program that can extract mutliple VS1680 files but only works in Windows... hint... Boot Camp or Virtual PC, or similar)

Last but not least!!!!

The time of ATA/IDE, PATA has come and gone.

If you have not begun using SSD drives in your VS1680 by now you had better start because the ATA/IDE form factor required will not be around much longer.... it is going the same route as SCSI.

AFTER ALL.....

The primary reason to transfer your VS1680 tracks is to obtain improved mastering AND make permanent backups that will progress forward in time rather than becoming inaccessible, obsolete, or Both.

Mar 25, 2012 12:48 AM in response to Doriel Demps

VS-1680 as Master Device

The next example uses MTC, with the VS-1680 controlling

the playback of Logic.

Connections

1. Connect the MIDI OUT port of the VS-1680 to the MIDI

IN port of your MIDI interface.

Logic Settings (Logic 7)

1. Click on “Open Arrange” in the Windows menu.

2. Click on “MIDI Options” in the Options sub menu.

3. Click on “Auto Sync In” so it has an “X: in its box.

4. Click on “OK.”

Logic Settings (Logic 8)

1. Preferences Global, all default except Audio, Audio is Optical or Digital in, on G5 "Built in Audio 2",

Universal Track Mode, 24 bit recording, Software Monitoring.

2. Settings:

Sync Mode: MTC

30 Frames: (can also use Auto Detect format of MTC)

Plays at SMPTE 00:00:00:00.00 (entered manually)

Core Audio: MTC Continuous

MIDI: all unchecked

Audio: Match sample rate of VS1680 recording. The VS1680 has sample rates of 32KHz, 44.1KHz, and 48KHZ. (if the recording was made at 32KHz, you are out of luck and must input analog)

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS

Right Click mouse on "Low Latency Mode" button, click on contextual menu "Customize Transport Bar".

Check the Sync box and choose OK.

VS-1680 Settings

1. Hold [SHIFT] and press [EXT SYNC].

2. Move the cursor to Sync Source and use the TIME/

VALUE dial to select “INT.”

3. Move the cursor to Sync Gen and use the TIME/VALUE

dial to select “MTC.”

4. Press [F6 (Exit)], then press [F4 (MIDI)].

5. Move the cursor to MIDI Thru and use the TIME/

VALUE dial to select “Out.”

6. Press Edit/Solo above Master Fader, verify that DOUT 2 is set to MST.

7. Press [PLAY (DISPLAY)] to return to the Playlist display.

Press [PLAY] on the VS-1680 and Logic will play in sync with

the VS-1680. Logic will automatically recognize the frame

rate that the VS-1680 is using. If it is different than the frame

rate set in Logic, a pop-up window will appear allowing you

to adjust Logic’s frame rate accordingly.

OPERATION (Zero Sync)

1. Deselect Sync in Logic (blue highlighted button).

2. Rewind Transport. (indicator should read 00:00:00:00.00)

3. Rewind Transport on VS1680.

4. Select Sync on Logic.

5. Choose Track for recording in Logic and press Record.

6. Press Play on VS1680. (recording begins)

7. Press Stop on VS1680 and end of recording.

8. IMPORTANT! Deselect Sync on Logic at end of each track recording.

Repeat as needed.

(failure to Deselect Sync can cause several odd problems typically forcing a reset of your MIDI interface)

When finished with recording project uncheck Sync as described in SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS above or an instability in playback will occur. (Logic will attempt to Sync to a digital input and playback can become erratic)

READ THIS: If you are running Logic 8 under Leopard with a G5 PCIe and have recorded digital tracks using Toslink, you MUST do the following!!!!

Once completed recording.... (this applies directly to recording digital tracks from a VS1680)

Preferences: Audio Built In Audio 1 (or analog input)

If your playback in Logic 8 becomes erratic or skips, this Preference will solve the problem.

(Logic attempts to sync to Built in Audio 2 (Toslink) and loses internal Sync, it's a software "feature" and not a hardware problem)

The only other option is to connect a Toslink cable from your Toslink output to your Toslink input. (forces Logic to sync to itself, .... changing a preference is much easier than attaching a fiber optic cable)

OPERATION (not Zero)

Methods for recording specific times can be accomplished more than one way.

One way is to read the specific time on the VS1680 and enter the value in the SMPTE value.

(this places the recorded section at ZERO)

The other way is to run the Play Head to the desired time manually (with Sync Deselected) then Select Sync, then Record. Recording begins when VS1680 reaches Play Head Position. (it Syncs)

Best place Play Head 2 seconds prior to desired area to avoid sync latency.

Logic as Master Device

I have had zero success recording with Logic Pro 8 as master and VS1680 as slave. The settings will work but the recorded digital audio is unusable. Perhaps this will work with analog audio.

Help!! Can't Sync ROland VS1680 to Logic for Dumping Audio Tracks!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.