Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will my SSD (OCZ Vertex 2) get TRIM support?

Helo,

I have got a Macbook 2010 model, i have recently ordered an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, I have seen that Lion will support TRIM, if I place this drive into my MacBook, will it support TRIM?

MacBook 7,1, Mac OS X (10.6.4), PC

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 5:00 PM

6 replies

Jun 2, 2011 8:35 PM in response to mazsi1911

No, it will not. There is software out there called TRIM Enabler that will turn it on, but I tried it, and got 30-second beach balls. I would advise not using it. Install this and read some of these tips for SSDs.

Sudden motion sensor
Having the Sudden motion sensor enabled for a SSD drive makes no sense, this can be disabled with the following command in your Terminal app.

sudo pmset -a sms 0

Hard drive sleep
Putting SSD hard drives to sleep has no benefit, and some SSD drives has a history of freezing up when put to sleep. This can be disabled under System Preferences -> Energy Saver. Remember to disable it for both Battery and Power Adapter mode.

Sleeping mode
By default, when closing the lid on a MacBook, the content of the ram is saved to disk for safety. The ram is still powered on however, and is used when starting up again. The content saved on disk is only used in case of a power loss. This behavior can be changed, at the cost of some safety, so that memory content is not saved to disk. On the bright side, you also save some disk space (equal to the amount of your RAM).

You can start by checking the current setting, fire up Terminal.app and type the following.

sudo pmset -g | grep hibernatemode
hibernatemode 3

3 is the default mode, you want to change this to 0 to disable disk writes.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Now you can remove the old sleepimage.

sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

User uploaded file

17" 2.2GHz i7 Quad-Core MacBook Pro  8G RAM  750G HD + OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Boot HD 
Got problems with your Apple iDevice-like iPhone, iPad or iPod touch? Try Troubleshooting 101

Jun 3, 2011 2:59 AM in response to Mac-Medic

Hi again, well its a bit rude from apple to only support apple ssds with trim, by the wwy i will try this out with Lion.

May i ask you how can i transfer my whole partition (30gb used of 250) to my new ssd? I have it internal and the ssd will be also internal, but i have an external hdd which is 500gb. Is there any way to do it?

Oct 6, 2011 2:12 PM in response to mazsi1911

Hi all,

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro, 2.93 GHz, 8gb Ram. I recently installed an OCZ vertex 2 ssd, 180 GB. I was curious about enabling TRIM manually, so I emailed OCZ tech support and asked them if enabling TRIM manually in Lion would help or hurt my SSD's performance. I wanted to post the responses I got back from them.

OCZ wrote:

With Lion OS Apple has enabled TRIM support for SSD's, but currently it does not appear to be supported by third party SSD's. TRIM support is currently only enabled for Apple brand SSD's. Without TRIM support, you will need to rely on garbage collection to clean up the unused blocks by allowing your system to sit idle.

So, then I asked if it was safe to manually enable TRIM manually. They responded,

OCZ wrote:

It is safe to manually enable Trim with LION OS, however as I previously stated Mac has not enabled Trim support for third party SSD's. You may enable it, but it will not work until Mac provides a firmware which allows third party SSD's to utilize Trim.

So I went ahead and enabled it manually. I followed some of the things Mac Medic mentioned above and I have not noticed any consequences to enabling TRIM manually, though I can't say if I have noticed many benefits either. I think it's faster, but I can't say it is because I enabled TRIM.

Thanks!

Chris

Will my SSD (OCZ Vertex 2) get TRIM support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.