Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup disk not found

I used Drive Genius 2 to defrag my hard drive. It ran into an error and could not complete the task. Using Drive Genius I did a disk repair, but it said everything was fine. I restarted the machine, but now there is no startup disk identified so I can't boot up. I have zapped my PRAM (still can't find startup disk). I tried to start holding X (still can't find startup disk). Any ideas.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 3, 2011 4:11 AM

3 replies

Jun 3, 2011 4:17 AM in response to gomaccrazy

Hello

Try resetting the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Also if you have the installation disc try boot to that afterwards and check in disk utility for your HDD, if it shows up try verify/repair disk.

Sometimes it may not boot as the partition is damaged but the HDD may be still visible in disk utility, if you cant repair it you may have to backup and erase.

Good Luck

Jun 3, 2011 4:19 AM in response to gomaccrazy

Try holding down the option key. You should get a screen that allows you to pick from bootable drives.

If your startup disk appears, select it. After it boots, go into the System Preferences, Startup Disk, and set it.

If that doesn't work, try booting while holding down the shift key.

If that doesn't work, you may have to reinstall.

Unless you are often editing files larger than 20 MB, there's not much need to defrag Mac OS X.

Startup disk not found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.