Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off Bluetooth audio streaming

Does anyone know how to either disable BlueTooth audio streaming on iPhone 4 or set the default iPod output to Dock Connector?

I have a great car stereo with a touch screen that lets me browse the folders on my iPhone 4 and control it's iPod through the dock connector. I also have a great Bluetooth interface that lets me browse my phone book on the same screen... Perfect combination? NO, not thanks to Apple... As soon as Bluetooth connects the iPhone ignores the dock connector and streams audio through BlueTooth where there's no control over what's playing - the iPhone is connected to the dock so just shows Accessory Connected'. To correct this you need to take your eyes off the road, choose iPod and click the icon at the bottom and choose 'Dock Connector' from the list, hopefully not having an accident in the meantime. Looks like a law suit in the offing?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Jun 3, 2011 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2011 1:32 PM

There is no way to disable A2DP streaming without shutting off bluetooth.

Now... what you're experiencing is NOT a problem caused by Apple.... relax.

Here's what's happening. Audio will use the last interface connected for playback. What's happening is, you're plugging it into the dock connector before the bluetooth connection has been established. When the bluetooth connects, the iPhone assumes that's what it should use for playback. And if you then plugged in a pair of headphones, it would assume you want to use them instead.

You need to have a little patience. First, let the bluetooth connect. AFTER it does that, then plug it into the dock connector. That should then get priority.

Oh, it might be a good idea to not make veiled threats about law suits too.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2011 1:32 PM in response to cedb

There is no way to disable A2DP streaming without shutting off bluetooth.

Now... what you're experiencing is NOT a problem caused by Apple.... relax.

Here's what's happening. Audio will use the last interface connected for playback. What's happening is, you're plugging it into the dock connector before the bluetooth connection has been established. When the bluetooth connects, the iPhone assumes that's what it should use for playback. And if you then plugged in a pair of headphones, it would assume you want to use them instead.

You need to have a little patience. First, let the bluetooth connect. AFTER it does that, then plug it into the dock connector. That should then get priority.

Oh, it might be a good idea to not make veiled threats about law suits too.

Jun 4, 2011 9:47 AM in response to KiltedTim

Hi KiltedTim - your answer works perfectly thanks and, now I understand the theory, the coding makes sense too.

Didn't mean to be threatening by the way - we English guys rarely resort to the law if it's our fault!

I also posted this problem here

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3020801

So more than happy to bump up your points if you want to answer that one too!

Thanks again - Ced

How do I turn off Bluetooth audio streaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.