Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3 day old Macbook Pro - "Majorly" overheating

Hello.

Firstly, i'd like to apologise for starting my own discussion on this topic (if I wasn't meant to).

I received my first Macbook Pro on Tuesday, and was really, really, really pleased with it, until today.

Running just a Youtube video on Google Chrome, a Shockwave game on Safari, and Trillian (IM Client from the app store) my Macbook was getting incredibly hot. I read in another discussion that I should try downloading the smcFanControl program - so I did, and saw that the temperature was reaching as high as 86 celcius - changing the rpm did help - but I wanted to know why the number was reaching that high in the first place? It didn't feel at all hot on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday - and those days I was running just the same things - maybe even running a few more things those days.

So, I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if this was perhaps something wrong with the notebook itself, and what I should do?

Any help given will be much appreciated - thank you in advance.

I have the Macbook Pro 15" base model (2Ghz).

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 3, 2011 1:52 PM

4 replies

Jun 3, 2011 3:01 PM in response to Naveedemm

YouTube using Flash is a CPU hog and will put a heavy demand on the system, the best way to address this is to switch to the YouTube HMTL5 trial option - http://www.youtube.com/html5

86C is warm but well within normal operating parameters, at that temp both fans will kick in and should prevent it getting much hotter. make sure you keep it on a flat hard surface and never on a bed, couch or anything that restricts the air flow underneath.

User uploaded file

Jun 3, 2011 4:20 PM in response to Naveedemm

Go under your Energy Saver in your Apple > System Preferences and turn OFF Automatic Graphics Swiching.

Your computer will now always use the slighty more power using dedicated graphics, which are located on another portion of the motherboard away from the CPU that was doing it before, placing two heat sources in one location.

You'll lose a bit of battery life, but it won't get so hot.

3 day old Macbook Pro - "Majorly" overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.