Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (Intel) shuts down unexpectedly, a semi-loud 'boom!' is heard.

Hello, I'm new here.

Something just happened when I was using my Mac late at night yesterday, and when I was just searching for iTunes Library in Finder (which, in the end I couldn't find it), my screen went black and a boom sound was heard. After I calmed myself from the shock, a smell like burning plastic came into my senses. To check is everything okay, I pressed the power button and it started up fine. So I decided to shut it down manually and goto sleep.

When I woke up this morning, I tried to boot up the Mac and all I can feel is the fan running in its normal speed.

I've been using this Mac about 12 hours every day for a week now and I think I may have overheated the computer.

The apps that I used before the shut down:

- iTunes

- Mozilla Firefox

- Tweetdeck

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my Mac? I can't seem to find the solution anywhere :(

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 3, 2011 8:39 PM

7 replies

Jun 3, 2011 9:18 PM in response to Rokusasu

Even the small caps in today's computers can make a nice "pow" noise and let some seared electrolyte out to wrinkle your nose.

The good news is that usually in this case, the offending part is easy to find for any technician worth his/her salt.

It's not normal use that causes caps to fail. It's either age or a manufacturing defect, usually an impurity in the electrolyte that allows a resistive bridge to build up until the ohmic heating causes a short, then kerpow.

Get it looked at and corrected by a service provider.

Jun 4, 2011 12:54 AM in response to Rokusasu

It's not a car! You don't have to take it in for periodic service!

In this case you've had a physical component fail (a capacitor). That can only be fixed by physical access to the innards of your computer.

Normal software maintenance is carried out by the OS itself without bothering you. Under normal circumstances it should never need to leave your desk!

iMac (Intel) shuts down unexpectedly, a semi-loud 'boom!' is heard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.