Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dates missing

help! i was trying to do a back-up and had selected too many photos. i de-seelcted a few and noticed that the dates had disappeared from feb - current. i also then rebuilt the library and shut down iphoto.

the dates are still missing. how do i retrieve the dates?

thank you for your help!

imac, ibook, airport extreme, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 12:06 PM

7 replies

Jun 4, 2011 12:56 PM in response to movie lady

what do you mean "the dates are missing"? Dates are part of the EXIF data within the photo and are placed there by the camera when the photo is taken

also please describe what you did in more detail

Note that the iPhoto library is a database and must be treated as a single entity - to backup up you must copy it in its entirety to a different hard drive - you can backup photos by selecting them and exporting but that does not keep all metadata and does not backup faces, albums, event structure, etc - only backing up the entire iPhoto library does that

LN

Jun 6, 2011 9:36 AM in response to LarryHN

thank you larry for the reply. i was going to do a back-up... i selected photos and realized i had too many to burn on dvd. i was going to de-select some film rolls but noticed that there was no film rolls. where as originally i had around 35 film rolls from feb - jun 11. it grouped all these film rolls into one with 1600 photos. the films rolls before feb are just as they have always been. (now it reads feb1, 2011 -feb 8, 2012)

the back up was from feb to june so i didn't not click on any photos prior to that.

how can i get the individual film roll dates back instead of having all the photos under that one and also is has 2012 for the ending year of that roll.

i hate this version of iphoto...

Jun 6, 2011 12:52 PM in response to movie lady

Note that film rolls went out with iPhoto '08 - since then you have events

I believe that iPhoto '09 had the autosplit events command - you can use Help to find it - if it does you can select the event and use the autosplit to split it according to your iphoto preference settings

As to backup - burning photos to a CD is not a backup of your iPhoto library - only of your photos - that will not maintain your event structure or any other metadata changes you make in iPhoto - backing up the iPhoto library is the best - and if you are no regularly backing up all of your data including the iPhoto library it is just a matter of time till you lose some or all of it

LN

dates missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.