Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

More Aperture/iPad syncing issues

Each time I create a new project or album in Aperture, I have trouble getting the images to the iPad when I sync. I sometimes need to sync several times until the images are recognized and imported to iPad. I do have the albums designated manually, rather than all, which means I have to sync and then sync again after I check the checkbox for the new album. I understand that, but sometimes I have to go back into Aperture to make sure the previews are updated. If I choose to update the previews for a project, Aperture will usually tell me that they're already up to date, but often they will not show up on the iPad, even after I check the appropriate box for the album in iTunes. Sometimes I get good results if I delete the previews and regenerate them in Aperture.

The second problem is the sort order. Even if I have "sort by filename" selected in Aperture, they do not show up in this order on the iPad--despite what the support article says about this. They appear to only show up in Date order. I've tried repeatedly resetting the sort order, but it does not change on the iPad. Sometimes I have to delete the album from the iPad, (uncheck the album in iTunes and sync again), then recheck it and sync yet another time. This does not always work, however.

It is very frustrating. The interface between Aperture and the iPad is very wonky. I often have to sync repeatedly, just to get the photos on the iPad and even then they're usually in the wrong order.

Aperture appears to have two types of previews: "previews" and "sharing previews," but "sharing previews" don't seem to appear in the documentation. I've noticed that, even when Aperture says the previews are up to date, when I exit the program, it will sometimes (but, maddeningly, not always), give the message, "updating sharing previews" before quitting. I cannot figure out how to force this, however. Sometimes opening and closing Aperture several times will cause it to do this, but I can't be sure.

iTunes seems to have its own process in which it "optimizes" images for importing to the iPad. Like Aperture's mysterious "sharing previews," "optimizing" does not show up in the iTunes documentation or help files.

This process either needs to be improved, or at least documented so users can understand how to avoid these problems.

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 7:30 PM

There are no replies.

More Aperture/iPad syncing issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.