Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cropping Crashes Aperture 3 due to Video Card Memory Leak?

Recently after updating from 3.1.1 to 3.1.2 I have been experiencing crashing issues whenever I perform the cropping action. I see the death of wheel following hitting the return key. There was one time when the master version itself vaporized into thin air. I also noticed from the iStat Menus that the issue only occurs when the ATI Radeon HD 2400 memory usage has reach its full capcity. I quite firefox to release some of the memory then Aperture functions normally until the memory runs out again. I would then see the death of wheel once again when I crop.

Is Aperture crashing because I need a more powerful video card or is it a memory leak issue with the application?

Thanks!

iMac (Early 2008)

2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo

4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

ATI Radeon HD 2400

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 12:58 AM

8 replies

Jun 5, 2011 10:23 AM in response to app1e

Sorry but I cannot answer the card vs. memory question. Many apps (e.g. browsers) do leak memory but I have not identified the Aperture app as leaking memory so much as liking memory. 🙂

Aperture is a heavy pro graphics app that is very demanding of hardware. Your Mac's CPU, GPU, i/o and/or RAM all are probably limiting to Aperture so we need to do what we can to optimize.

Some generic advice I posted in another thread is listed below. In your case I would pay special attention to RAM optimizing: restarts and running Aperture by itself in the short term, adding RAM in the longer term.

---------------------

• Set Previews to only be built manually, and only tell Aperture to build Previews when you are not otherwise editing in Aperture.

• Keep the internal drive underfilled for speed, which sooner or later usually requires using a Referenced-Masters-Library with Masters on external drives. Back up originals before importing into Aperture or any other images app.

• The Aperture Library should be on an internal drive.

• Turn off Share Previews with iLife and iWork.

• Remember that HDs slow as they fill and keep the internal drive underfilled. Approx. 70% full maximum is a good guideline.

• If page outs increase significantly during operation try to run Aperture by itself. On my C2D MBP with its max of 3 GB RAM I always did a restart prior to a heavy Aperture session to clear any memory leaks and make sure no other apps were open. Browsers in particular will often suck RAM Aperture would otherwise be using.

IMO all Aperture users who can should routinely bump RAM to at least 8 GB.

Activity Monitor's RAM reporting can be misleading. On Activity monitor check Page Outs before and after a work session. If the number of Page Outs increases significantly, you would benefit from more RAM.

HTH

-Allen

Jun 17, 2011 10:22 AM in response to app1e

Lets see if we understand this correctly.

You had a system on which Aperture was crashing when you used the crop tool. You then got a brand new system and the crop tool still causes Aperture to crash. Am I correct so far?

What are the common factors between the old and new systems as far as Aperture goes? Not knowing how you migrated from the old to the new the only thing we can say for certain is that the library is identical.

So have you run the basic library first aid steps? Another thing to try is to create a new empty library, put an image into it and try cropping it and see what happens.

Let us know what happens after those steps,

regards

Jun 23, 2011 10:46 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

You had a system on which Aperture was crashing when you used the crop tool. You then got a brand new system and the crop tool still causes Aperture to crash. Am I correct so far?

What are the common factors between the old and new systems as far as Aperture goes? Not knowing how you migrated from the old to the new the only thing we can say for certain is that the library is identical.

So have you run the basic library first aid steps? Another thing to try is to create a new empty library, put an image into it and try cropping it and see what happens.

regards

Frank Caggiano wrote:

regards

I migrated everything from the old computer to the new. I also tried creating a new library and the issue persists. I've also tried the First Aid options all of 'Repair Permission, Repair Database, and Rebuild Database' none of which worked. I've also tried reinstalling Aperture and it crashes on the first crop.

I will need to be editing many photos in a few weeks and now I'm stuck with this issue.. HELP!!!!!!!

It seems like others have run into the same issue also but no solutions!!

Why is aperture 3.1 crashing after cropping images, any one else?

http://www.google.com.hk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBsQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F% 2Fdiscussions.apple.com%2Fthread%2F2642858%3Fstart%3D15%26tstart%3D0&ei=axUETrC0 DM3ciAL23ZXZDQ&usg=AFQjCNE9Kv1N--m8mCyaRkyWi3E9d-0aXg&sig2=qzgEONrK7vLfWetcPT69y A

Cropping Crashes Aperture 3 due to Video Card Memory Leak?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.