Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When streaming a movie on Netflix using Apple TV, how can I turn on subtitles for the hearing impaired?

I guess no one from Apple ever reads these discussions because several people are asking the same question and get no responses. What is the point of these groups if you can get answers? I, like many, am severely hearing impaired. I need subtitles (closed captions for the hearing impaired) in order to watch a movie. Netflix provides this functionality on many of its movies. It works with my iMac but not (or I don't know how) to get it to work on my AppleTV. I need this functionality. Is there a way to do this now? If not, is Apple planning on updating its AppleTV with this capability? If so, when?

AppleTV 2, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 9:25 AM

16 replies

Jun 5, 2011 10:01 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Netflix has this service for over half its titles. I can watch a Netflix movie on my iMac and get closed captions just by pushing a "subtitles" button on the screen. However, this functionality evidently doesn't translate to AppleTV if I try to watch the same movie on AppleTV. Why the difference? Why is there a "subtitles" button on the iMac screen but not the AppleTV screen? Netflix says the functionality is there but Apple TV doesn't support it. So who is right? Is this a Netflix problem or an AppleTV problem?

Jun 5, 2011 12:04 PM in response to Winston Churchill

My apologies for not making this clear, because the answer is NOT OBVIOUS to me. I am NOT talking about iTunes. I am talking about Netflix. I prefer Netflix because there is a small general unlimited use fee per month instead of a per movie fee that iTunes charges. The result is that I can see many more movies with Netflix for much less cost than iTunes. So, my question remains unanswered. Closed Captions from Netflix movies works on my iMac but not on AppleTV. Will AppleTV be updated with this functionality or should I get rid of my AppleTV? and buy another device.

Jun 5, 2011 12:18 PM in response to dwcoop

As I said before no one here can tell you what new features might be added to the Apple TV in the future.

I'm aware you are talking about netflix, but you asked whether the problem was with netflix or Apple, you also said that netflix say it's Apple's fault because the Apple TV doesn't support subtitles, my point was that it's OBVIOUSLY not since subtitles is clearly supported by the Apple TV because it works with iTunes movies.

Jun 18, 2011 5:58 PM in response to dwcoop

As I understand it, Netflix features have to be added to the AppleTV software and are not necessarily available like they are on other content. This came up when surround sound was originally not available on Netflix features although it was on iTunes content; a software update enabled surround sound on Netflix. So I imagine that subtitles are something that is still coming.

Jan 30, 2012 1:50 AM in response to dwcoop

I realise this thread is quite old now but since I stumbled across the solution last night I thought I would let you know.

When watching your content on Netflix press and hold the menu button until you see the subtitle screen then select English [cc]. Do the same to switch off.

Maybe you found this already but, if not, hope it helped.

Apr 4, 2012 9:50 PM in response to slickest

Slickest,

Thank you so much for thisamazing information; this has been a most upsetting issue for us! One point of clarification and this may be a matter of versions, but what I found for the most recent version of AppleTV is that to turn on CC you must hold down the center of the selector dial, not the menu button. Nevertheless, I would have never figured it out without your help and I'm most grateful.

When streaming a movie on Netflix using Apple TV, how can I turn on subtitles for the hearing impaired?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.