Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Transpose a Row into a Column ? (URGENT)

I am trying to transpose a row into a column and please pay attention "Just one row of a table into a column of another table". Unlike Excel, in Numbers there is no easy way to transpose data but this is a bit urgent to me, any help would be appreciated!!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 3:38 PM

12 replies

Mar 14, 2017 6:10 PM in response to Dancin_Brook

HI Dancin' Brook,

I saw Sheet 1, which contained a table with data in row 1 and no other data.

I didn't see Sheet 2. My assumption is that its table contains the same data in column A, and no other data.

For that limited case, the analogous one with the original table containing data only in column A, and the extended case where the original table contains data only in row 1 and in column A, Table > Transpose returns what, for all appearances, is a correct result.

But Transpose affects the whole table, not just row 1 and column A. Consider, for example, the Source and Receiving tables below:

User uploaded file

The 'data' in the block B2-J10 was created with a formula, then changed to fixed values by copying the cells then using Paste Formula Results to remove the formulas and leave the last calculated results.

Receiving is a copy of Source, pasted onto a sheet, then supplied the 'general' version of the OFFSET formula above, pasted into A1 and filled right to J1, and separately filled down to A10.

Here, the single row (1) and the single column (A) have been transposed. The rest of the data has been left undisturbed.

Without the omitted steps described above, Transpose won't do that.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 14, 2017 12:06 PM in response to Dancin_Brook

Dancin' Brook writes:

"Much easier now. There is now a menu item: Table>Transpose Rows and Columns"

Easier yes, but Table > Transpose Rows and Columns won't do what the OP asked for:

"I am trying to transpose a row into a column and please pay attention "Just one row of a table into a column of another table"." (emphasis added)

Regards,

Barry

Mar 14, 2017 1:55 PM in response to Barry

Barry,

Copy-pasting the table, deleting rows one doesn't want to transpose, and applying Table > Transpose Rows and Columns IS much easier now than having to come up with an OFFSET that works and having to clean up afterwards.

Here it takes less than a minute, far less than the time it takes to put in the formulas. One row to one column in another table.

So why do you think Dancin' Brook is wrong? Is your testing there different?

SG

Mar 14, 2017 4:00 PM in response to SGIII

Hi SG,

Not 'wrong,' just incomplete. Table > Transpose does the whole table, not a 'single row.'

Had Dancin' Brook provided the omitted details of copy, paste, delete rows that are not to be transposed, go Table > Transpose, then do whatever needs doing to restore the deleted rows, it would be a fine answer to the original question.

Wayne's response answered the question that was asked with one of the techniques useable at the time. My response to the follow up question addressed that question. Neither response would disturb any existing data except that in the row and column to be transposed.

Regards,

Barry

PS to Dancin' Brook: Will reply later. Time sensitive chores to do now.

B

Mar 15, 2017 11:12 AM in response to Dancin_Brook

Receiving is a copy of Source. It may be place on the same sheet as Source, or on a separate sheet as desired, with no change to the formula used.

The formula used in all cells in row 1 and in all cells in column A of Receiving is the one labeled "the more general formula, which will tanspose in either direction" in my June 13, 2011 post:

=OFFSET(Source :: $A$1,COLUMN()-1,ROW()-1,,)

Regards,

Barry

Jun 5, 2011 5:54 PM in response to Wayne Contello

Dear Friend,

I have been looking for an answer the whole day and have performed every possible solution in the index, transpose, lookup and all the other recommended functions, none of them have worked for me in this case. I have gone through more than 20 posts on the discussion board but all of them were useless. I havent tried your method yet but although I appreciate your help and time, I dont remember forcing you or anyone else to help me, I just looked at posting my question as an option to avoid writing long scripts for such a basic function that is easily available on excel under the special paste option.

I thank you very much in advance for the advice.

PS. I tried it and with a couple of modifications it worked, thank you very much for making my day 🙂

Message was edited by: cool3pehr

How to Transpose a Row into a Column ? (URGENT)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.