Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to change the default location for MobileSync Backup files?

My internal drive is getting too full for my ipod touch's growing MobileSync Backup folder. Is there any way to change the default location for the back up to an external drive? I've searched and found lot's of questions and no answers. Surely it must be possible.

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 9:13 PM

Try creating a symbolic link to the folder on the external drive.

Basic troubleshooting steps

User uploaded file

17" 2.2GHz i7 Quad-Core MacBook Pro  8G RAM  750G HD + OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Boot HD 
Got problems with your Apple iDevice-like iPhone, iPad or iPod touch? Try Troubleshooting 101
3 replies

Jun 6, 2011 8:36 AM in response to Mac-Medic

Thanks! I'm not familiar with "symbolic links"....Okay just spent an hour learning abut "symbolic links" good to know. I found something called "symbolicLinker" which seems to work pretty good to simplify the process (I'm not really a 'terminal' user). Do you know if it's any good/most current option for leopard?

Seems to do what I need however, I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new Mac and I guess whatever the latest os is...so, trying to brush up on any missing 'links' (pun intended) I might have in current set ups/operations. Is there a native operation included in the newer OS?

Is there any way to change the default location for MobileSync Backup files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.