Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Minolta PagePro 1250W Drivers?

I have the above printer and cannot seem to get it working with my mac. I know it is unsupported, but have read various other posts indicating that it may be possible. I don't know anything about compiling. Does anyone have some advice/help or a working and compiled driver?

Any help is appreciated.

PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.5GHz w/Superdrive Mac OS X (10.4.3) 4th Gen iPod Clickwheel

Posted on Jan 11, 2006 11:06 AM

1 reply

May 5, 2006 9:58 AM in response to Chad M

I must warn you that this is quite technical. But considering that I have never done any compiling or programming before and was still able to get this to work, then I have faith that you can do the same. 🙂 Minolta printers with a designation of "W" after the model number are "windows compatible only," therefore Minolta refuses to make drivers for us to use their printers with a Mac. However, some genius out there has made a driver for us poor souls. The only problem is that they didn't bother to compile or build it so it will work in Mac OSX. So we get to do that.

First off, you have to install the Xcode tools that come on the Tiger installation disc (disc 1) also known as the developer tools. Once you do that you can follow the these instructions:

1. Create and download a PPD file by clicking here (or copy and paste into your browser): http://www.linuxprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.cgi?driver=min12xxw&printer=Minolta-Pag ePro_1250W&show=0

2. Save that PPD file to Macintosh HD/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj

3. Download and save the latest driver .tar package from the website http://www.hinterbergen.de/mala/min12xxw/ to your "home" folder (the one that looks like a house and has your username on it).

4. Double-click on the downloaded .tar file to extract it.

5. Build the driver. Open Terminal.app and type (after each line press enter):

cd min12xxw-0.0.9
./configure
make

The first command brings you into the directory into which the sources were unpacked, the second has a look at the characeristics of your system from the point of view of a programmer to adapt the min12xxw sources to your system and the last command actually builds min12xxw. To be able to use it, you need to install it onto your system in a place where it can be easily found by other programs. To do so, you need to become root (that is why sudo preceeds each command):

sudo make install

Afterwards, you may want to tidy up after the build process:

sudo make clean

6. Restart CUPS, in Terminal.app type:

kill -HUP cupsd (if that doesn't work, then leave off the "cupsd" part)

7. type "exit" in Terminal and quit Terminal

8. Plug in your printer to the USB port on your computer. Then open Printer Setup Utility (in the utilities folder in the applications folder)

9. Hold down the option key while clicking on "Add"

10. Your printer should appear in the list. Select it and click on the "Print Using:" drop down box. Select Minolta. Select Minolta PagePro 1350W Foomatic/min12xxw from the list. Click Add.

You're done!!

Minolta PagePro 1250W Drivers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.