Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime Player cannot open files in the “data” format.

The title above is an exact clip from error message rcvd when quicktime loads after clicking on a web hyperlink. I enjoy the simplicity of a mac and don't like having to make things work smoothly myself.

The error as quoted doesn't show up when searching the quicktime section of this forum, so I'm contributing it for all the other users who experience the same show-stopper and will appreciate a solution that doesn't require too much more than just Apple>Software update, or some similar scenario.

p.s. I saw some solution mentioning components out of date. I have no idea, nor wish to know about these. Hope I don't have to go there!

version 10.0

OS 10.6.7 System Version:Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)

Kernel Version:Darwin 10.7.0

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 9:57 PM

8 replies

Jun 7, 2011 11:41 PM in response to Stress Test

I guess it's irrelevant. That's how I now interpret the error. The QuickTime error dialog says it cannot open files in the “data” format. So I elected to save it then it opens in Textedit. Here's a piece of that:

<ref HREF="mms://a981.v408870.c40887.g.vm.akamaistream.net/f/981/40887/1d/c1.smecde. com/akamai/upload/prod/secure_!/mps/catalog_71/42/c4/6d/HaveYouEverBeenInLove_hi .wma?auth=caEdfaZcRbgbQafdBaxcRbRdscwb3bkbWbj-bn7XBW-vga-pvqlGDw&amp;aifp=v001"/ >
<param name="FeedName" value="Platform"/>
</entry>
</asx>

or try picking one of the speaker icons yourself http://www.celinedion.com/music/one-heart

Jun 29, 2011 2:07 AM in response to NjoyAmac

NjoyAmac wrote:

Well, now that we both figured out it was a windows file I wonder about

1. why not just install the windows player for mac
  2. why pay for the flip program just for occasional viewing
  3. how would we have known of the .wma file extension had I not done the text display of the link

1. There isn't a window player for the MAC.

2. Flip4Mac playback plugin is a free download... I hope you didn't buy Flip4Mac.

3. We wouldn't....

iMac 27", 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, 2TB HD + 256GB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5FCS 3OS X 10.6.7iPad 1&2Apple Tv 2

Jul 7, 2011 10:43 AM in response to David M Brewer

David M Brewer wrote:

1. There isn't a window player for the MAC.

iMac 27", 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, 2TB HD + 256GB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5FCS 3OS X 10.6.7iPad 1&2Apple Tv 2

Ah, now I see. So the old version 9 was Best for reading Windows Media Player files? I used to have it installed on my last macintosh, a G3, until summer 2010. Had not tried installing on my newer 2006 iMac.

When the Intel Macintosh came out, it couldn't use that viewer any more. Is that the (full) story?

Jul 10, 2011 7:23 PM in response to NjoyAmac

WMP for Mac was at best, to be charitable a bit of a piece of mierda as we say in Spanish. When Telestream came out with the free WM codec (rumoured to have a bit of support from Microsoft to get it out there) there was not much point in trying to use the WMP as Quicktime with Flip4mac did the job better. Certainly more consistently and with the newer codecs past about WM 6 or 7 , more or less mandatory.

For not a lot of money you can upgrade F4M to use with Quicktime Pro to edit WMV in QT and for a bit more money you can export to WMV which some people would find useful.

QuickTime Player cannot open files in the “data” format.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.