9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2011 6:53 AM by sadilak
Dougal222 Level 1 Level 1
expertise.iphone
iPhone

Will OS X Lion work well with a 1.6Ghz 2GB ram Macbook Air?

It currently is running 10.5.8 Leopard and works at a very reasonable speed.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Kappy Level 10 Level 10

Since no one has it yet there's no way to know.  If you are satisfied that Leopard meets your needs then there's no reason to upgrade.

• theoris Level 1 Level 1

System requirements are Core 2 Duo processor and 2 MB of RAM with current version of Snow Leopard to upgrade.

Run "well"...no one really knows yet.

• wojtek_air Level 1 Level 1

No, it will not work well on Air 1.6 2RAM.  Just installed it.  It takes more than 2 minutes to boot, Mail loads just about 2 minutes.  Illustrator CS3 takes ages to load, printing from it takes another age.  It is way slower than Snow Leopard.  Uncomparable.  Back to SL.

I've installed it on my 11" MBA and it works like a champ. But my model has 4 GB of RAM. 2 GBs is the minimum requirement but if you keep down the number of concurrent applications running and maintain at least 10 GBs of free space on the drive it should still perform adequately. That said, Snow Leopard may be preferable because it requires only 1 GB of RAM.

• Dougal222 Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone

Currently i'm nunning Leopard and have over 80GBs free space in the hard drive but yes unfortunatly i cannot upgraded it more than the 2GB it has.

Then I would stay with Leopard or upgrade to Snow Leopard.

• francesco f. Level 1 Level 1

I'm afraid you din't wait for the indexing activity to finish.

• wojtek_air Level 1 Level 1

There is something I don't understand here.  I did wait for Spotlight to finish indexing.  I removed unnecessary software, I have 50GB of free disk space (out of 120GB).  I used Memory Sweeper (it usually leaves me with 350-400 MB of free memory), I even resetted PRAM and my Air 1.6 GHz 2GB RAM is still sloooow.  Working on Lion requires a great deal of patience for me.  And still Apple sell the new Air with the same parameters but 11" with Lion.  So it must work OK.  But it doesn't for me?  Why? Any other suggestions?  Apart from obviously coming back to SL which I am about to do.

• sadilak Level 1 Level 1

I have the Version 1 Macbook air; Non SSD and it works fine.  I do not use it for heavy weight adobe stuff, but then I have not had any performance issues too. Lion runs better than Snow Leopard. I use Pages and Keynote heavily and It takes around 10 secs for pages to open and I am willing to live with that. Office 2011 is slower to load and that is understandable because Microsoft loads a whole lot of stuff at the time of program launch.