Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

newbie concerns: FCE abilities

Hi, I'm migrating from PC to MAC (new 27" iMac), and I'm involved in created abstract art/music videos with prosumer level equipment. I'm wondering if Final Cut Express HD will suit my needs.

I doubt whether I will need the extreme "pro" level of Final Cut Pro Studio. At most I "layer" video track to a max of about 4 tracks + titles, and layer sound - again - using about 4 stereo tracks max. What I utilize a lot in "layering" video is the filters or "mattes" such as "difference" or "luminance" that allow for key-framing these effects over time along the duration of a clip.

Will FCE HD allow for this?

I also use slow motion a lot. In previous apps (mostly Ulead Media Studio), I was able to slow down a clip to any percentage degree I chose, which was very convenient. Does FCE HD have this flexibility?

Also, if any of you have experience with Sony's AVCHD file-types, and their ease-of-use in FCE, would be great to know. Currently iMovie on my new iMac immediately loads AVCHD's from my camera, and converts them on the fly. Wondering if FCE will also do this?

One final question is regarding FCE's flexibility in mixing different file-types. One of the joys of Ulead's product, was that it would seamlessly integrate almost any movie file-type and almost any audio file-type. I understand that Mac's will likely be limited that way, but as long as FCE can convert to a useable type, that would be great.

thanks for any input on the above concerns ...

Final Cut Express HD-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 1:08 PM

I doubt whether I will need the extreme "pro" level of Final Cut Pro Studio. At most I "layer" video track to a max of about 4 tracks + titles, and layer sound - again - using about 4 stereo tracks max. What I utilize a lot in "layering" video is the filters or "mattes" such as "difference" or "luminance" that allow for key-framing these effects over time along the duration of a clip.

Yes.

I also use slow motion a lot. In previous apps (mostly Ulead Media Studio), I was able to slow down a clip to any percentage degree I chose, which was very convenient. Does FCE HD have this flexibility?

Yes. It does slomo OK in full percentage increments. Odd speed not so much. The optical flow technology that comes with Motion (part of the Final Cut Studio suite) does this much better.

AVCHD media is transcoded on ingest to QuickTime using the Apple Intermediate Codec. It's not instantaneous, but it should be quite a bit faster than real time. FCE does not support 60p or 50p media.

Final Cut wants to have everything in a single format for the sequence you're working in.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2011 1:08 PM in response to Inscapes

Yes.

Yes. It does slomo OK in full percentage increments. Odd speed not so much. The optical flow technology that comes with Motion (part of the Final Cut Studio suite) does this much better.

AVCHD media is transcoded on ingest to QuickTime using the Apple Intermediate Codec. It's not instantaneous, but it should be quite a bit faster than real time. FCE does not support 60p or 50p media.

Final Cut wants to have everything in a single format for the sequence you're working in.

Jun 7, 2011 8:20 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi ... searching around the 'net, I've found confusing data on keyframing with FCE HD. Can anyone please clarify this for me?

There are sources who say that FCE will only keyframe MOTION, not effects etc. What I am most interested in keyframing is the layering of 2 or more videos with specific transparency filters (ie luminance, difference etc) in place. These filters need to be keyframed over a clip's duration.

Can anyone please explain clearly if FCE can do this?

as well, what exactly CAN and CAN'T be keyframed in FCE would be very helpful ...

thanks!

newbie concerns: FCE abilities

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.