Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Mail.app support message receipts in Lion?

Can anyone tell me whether Mail.app will support message receipts in Lion?

I've scoured Apple's listing of new features for Mail.app in Lion looking for some indication that Apple has finally added support for message receipts, but so far I've found no mention of it. I read a rumor on one of the WWDC reports (on a tech blog) that Mail would support receipts in both iOS5 and OS X Lion, but nothing I can find on Apple's site confirms it.

Thanks!

MacPro Quad Core 2.8GHz; 10 GB RAM; 23, Mac OS X (10.6.7), MacBook Pro 17"; 2 GB RAM; OS X 10.4.11

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 4:37 PM

If it's not on Apple's Lion page, then nobody here is going to know, and if they do, they can't say.

Ask on that tech blog that suggested it.

24 replies

Jun 6, 2011 6:11 PM in response to Barney-15E

OK...I found it, and I see now that it wasn't about Mail. My mistake. It's in Rachel King's blog on ZDNet:

WWDC 2011: Apple iOS 5 integrates Twitter, sports new notification menu

Here's the relevant section, from the third paragraph:

The most surprising feature revealed during the keynote was iMessage, a new real-time messaging service that lets iOS users send texts, photos and videos to other iOS users over Wi-Fi and 3G. Recipients are notified of incoming messages using the new aforementioned push notification system, which sends the message to all of the owner’s iOSdevices. Much like BlackBerry Messenger, iOS users can receive delivery and read receipts... (emphasis added)

Thanks for mentioning that it's not in the keynote presentation. I didn't have time to watch it. I'm not surprised that they wouldn't mention it. I don't suppose it's a feature that's in very high demand, as far as email is concerned. Outside of the relatively small circle of professional associates I work with, any mention of the subject of message receipts is almost universally greeted with the response, "Huh...whuzzat?"

I admit that I don't get it. Why wouldn't you want to know whether your messages have been received?

Beats me...but so far, it's not a question Apple has been inclined to answer. I've asked. 😉

Jun 6, 2011 7:20 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney:

Your answer is reasonable if I don't have any business sending you email in the first place, or if you don't want me to know whether you've received my message. If that's the case, then I agree. No one is under any obligation to acknowledge a message he never requested, or that doesn't concern something of mutual interest to the communicants...by their own subjective determination. I'm fiercely protective of my own privacy too.

But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the condition wherein communicants WANT to know whether they've received each other's messages; for example, to keep important messages from falling through the cracks. It happens, you know. Receipts (and especially, the absence of receipts) have saved me and my associates from honest mistakes and missing messages more times than I can count. But if the ability to request and acknowledge receipts isn't even there, they're out of luck...and living with ignorance about the status of their communications.

Besides, every civilized mail client I know of enables the user to set a preference that notifies the recipient that the sender has requested a receipt, and asks whether he whether he wants to honor that request for any given incoming message. If, in your judgment, it's none of my business whether you read my message, you don't have to acknowledge receiving it.

In fact, most mail clients enable the user to automatically deny all receipt requests. Receipt acknowledgment is turned off as the default condition. If you don't want to use it, then you don't have to do anything. The only folks who would even know about it would be those who want to use it.

So, I still don't see how having the feature available is a problem for anyone...but maybe I'm missing something.

Jun 6, 2011 8:01 PM in response to Barney-15E

Good suggestion. In fact, that's what I already do if I'm communicating with folks who use Mail.app and I need to know whether they've received it. But it would be cleaner (and easier for users) to have a receipt system built in.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to convince you. If you don't need message receipts, I wouldn't expect you to find it a useful feature. Thanks for the discussion.

Vito

Jun 7, 2011 4:53 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

Features take time and resources to implement. You just can't magically make them work.

Wow...what on Earth gave you the impression that I don't already understand that?

Barney-15E wrote:

If a lot of people were clammoring for that feature, I suppose they'd implement it.

Sorry, but that's not news to me either. Evidently, you didn't read the part where I wrote,

"I don't suppose it's a feature that's in very high demand, as far as email is concerned."

I expect that a great many people are NOT clamoring for that feature. I happen to agree that Apple is usually responsive to customer demand for software features, unless there is some other objection, policy, or prejudice against providing it.

I suspect that the latter is the case here. I (and others I know) have been requesting support for receipts since Mail.app first appeared. Implementing that feature within that time frame would not require any supernatural processes or superhuman effort. I think they just don't want to do it. That's their prerogative.

Jun 7, 2011 5:46 AM in response to freevito

If you don't need message receipts, I wouldn't expect you to find it a useful feature.

In my experience, only people who are not savvy enough to understand the security implications of such a feature find it useful. It's dangerous, and it has been abused... we're not talking about theoretical possibilities for abuse. Read receipt requests are really not a good idea, and should be allowed to just die peacefully.

Jul 26, 2011 1:29 AM in response to thomas_r.

Personally I think Read receipts are a pile of crap. People in my company misuse this to assign tasks by mail and when they get the receipt the clock starts ticking. I normally do not react on this, because mail is the wrong way to assign tasks. I usually tell people I do not accept assignments by mail, only by phone or something the like, because they can also expect from me, that I acknowledge a task and I take care I get the task done properly once I said I will do it.

But the real problem with Read Receipts and Apple Mail is, that if a sender requests a read receipt, Apple Mail will automatically send out this receipt and as a user I have almost no way of knowing about that. At least this happens when you are on an Exchange account. I guess the server will automatically generate this.

AND THIS IS A SECURITY ISSUE THOMAS! It can be abused and as I user I will not even know about it. And that is why I would like to have an option to at least know that a receipt has been requested and I can decide if I want to answer.

Of course you can add a specific rule to get around this problem. I have added a rule that detects the read receipt and then moves this message to a local folder (called "With Read Receipt"). This way I see who has sent me a message with read receipt.

The sideeffect of this is, that the other side gets a message that reads: "The message has been deleted without reading" (or something like this). These people usually pick up the phone and call me up, because they get worried. And then I can explain them why read receipts are a bad habit. Since I enabled the rule the number of messages with read receipts is getting smaller and smaller :-)

Jul 26, 2011 5:48 AM in response to thomas_r.

I am not an Exchange expert. It seems that this is a setting on the Exchange Server itself. I do not have a plugin installed or the like and what I have found out so far is, that the Exchange Server itself sends out this receipt automatically as soon as the message has been marked as read for the first time.

On the webclient the "Message Tracking Options" are set to always ask before sending a response ("Ask me before sending a response"). As Apple Mail and Mac Outlook do not ask, probably the server will answer by itself. Maybe setting the option to "Never send a response" will do the job.

But from the security standpoint there a 2 options where it will always send a response without people knowing and one, where it will not send a receipt.

And who will ever find out about these options, nor know what the IT department has set as standard option if he is not as tech savvy as we are :-)

Will Mail.app support message receipts in Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.