Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my Quicktime player play .avi files?

I have a number of movie files that will not open and play with my Quicktime player even though they are .avi files...I have down loaded a file converter to change the files to .mov but every time I try that my file converter reads a problem...?

Please help?!!

Quicktime-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 5:07 PM

6 replies

Jun 7, 2011 4:25 PM in response to D.C.Paul

I have a number of movie files that will not open and play with my Quicktime player even though they are .avi files...I have down loaded a file converter to change the files to .mov but every time I try that my file converter reads a problem...?

AVI like MOV is just a container for data. If you don't have the proper codec components installed, the file cannot be opened, played, or converted by a QT-based media player. As was already mentioned, the Perian component package contains many of the most common codecs used in the AVI file container and if you install this free set of codecs, then the files may become playable.

User uploaded file

Apr 17, 2015 8:01 AM in response to D.C.Paul

Just as Klaus1 said, did you try Perian? Perian is the saver to allow QuickTime to play all kinds of AVI videos for Mac users. Unfortunately, the latest version 1.2.3 of Perian is not compatible with Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9), Mountain Lion (10.8) and Lion (10.7).

Installing codec is another way to solve this issue. But you need to install many kinds of codecs if you want to play various kinds of video in QuickTime.

There is a widely solution to allow you play AVI and other formats that are not compatible with QuickTime without limitation.

Apr 17, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Waynec43

i too am having problems with my quicktime,trying to play the avi file.i get a indio codec for my windows computer,but it STILL does`nt play it!help,please

Indeo is a legacy codec that never made the transition to Mac OS X nor re-coded for use with Mac Intel-based platforms. Indeo Video v3 (IV32) is still supposed to be supported by the the FFmpeg framework so an app like VLC should play it. However, even VLC will not play Indeo Video 4 or 5 (IV41 or IV51) encoded files. You can either try to determine which Indeo codec was used to encode the file or simply try playing it in an FFmpeg-based app to see if it will play. If it doesn't, then you probably can't view it on any Mac under any reasonably current operating system. As to Windows systems, I'm not sure what the current codec status is. I.e., the codec you currently have installed may not support the Indeo codec used to create your AVI file.

User uploaded file

Why won't my Quicktime player play .avi files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.