Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant connect to youtube

Hiya,

all of the sudden my mac stopped connecting to youtube, safari just claims it cant find the darn page, none

of the network settings either in my mac or my router have changed.

Other pages load, some load slow tho, safari gets stuck on the last object of the page for quite some time.

I have :

- reseted network settings

- tried several browsers

- reseted router (buffalo airstation)

- checked machine with ClamXav

- cleaned machine with OnyX

- checked my hosts file (no references to youtube there)

My daughters windows laptop connects to internet thru the same router and it has no problem connecting

to youtube so the problem really cant be in the router / internet connection ...

Any ideas ?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 2:04 AM

32 replies

Jul 7, 2017 9:20 AM in response to dmgriffin

If you are using Safari on OS X 10.6.8, it is hopelessly outdated and you probably can't update your Adobe Flash Player, either.

Try another web browser, like the Mozilla Firefox ESR. Look for version 45.9. The last official Mozilla Firefox version for OS X 10.6.8. Ignore all of the info on the Mozilla Firefox ESR web page.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

Then try an update of Adobe Flash Player.

Then, try to access the YouTube website once again.

Good Luck to You!

Jun 8, 2011 12:28 PM in response to Bendrago

I have been having all sorts of problems getting to sites today, including Apple even... I had to keep trying repeatedly just to finally get here. I can't get to YouTube at all right now either.

I read an article on MacWorld that today is the day they are testing IPv6 and you may have problems connecting to some websites. I'm guessing that may be the problem... ??

Jun 8, 2011 10:04 PM in response to Bendrago

To update this a bit, still have the same problem but when I boot with bootcamp to win xp youtube works just fine, so it can't be a hardware issue with mac, router, modem or internet connection.

It seems that I am not the only one, there are a few more people here with similar problems, if not with youtube then some other pages.

Jun 9, 2011 10:37 AM in response to Bendrago

Same here, just to update this post, about just after the release of the 6/6/11 keynote event, I updated to Snow Lepoard 10.6.7 to be ready for the new stuff thats coming down. Since then I cannot access YouTube no matter what browser.

User uploaded file

So I too would like to know what is going on, one because this is my first real Mac Pro Purchase and we are about to migrate everything over from our PC production machine to this Mac Pro to start the real work. EXCLUDING THE MICROSOFT LOL. I am not sure if Adobe Flash and Apple have been in an arugment or not, dont care. But what we do care about is showing off our YouTube Channel to our clients and on the Mac especially. But alas now that all browsers are having issues with YouTube on our Mac we have to use the PC =( and yes I tried all the fixes no dice

Come on Apple let us know the skinny thanks eveyone for this post

Jun 9, 2011 12:49 PM in response to DDavisDesign

Is this occuring with a single site or is it occuring with any site you attempt to pull?

Fire up Terminal and type:

dscacheutil -flushcache (this will flush your local DNS cache)

Then type:

ping youtube.com

if it does not respond to ping, make sure DNS is working by typing:

nslookup youtube.com

If DNS is good, it should return a list of IP addresses for youtube.com.

If it does, there is no reason why the site wouldn't be accessible via your browser. I would try and pull the site via a different browser (Firefox) to try and isolate the issue to Safari (or not).

I noticed on your screenshot you have a browser tab opened with what a appears to be removal instructions for a trojan. Was your machine recently infected by any chance?

-fsck!

Jun 9, 2011 1:03 PM in response to fsck!

I'll reply for my part.

- Only youtube.com wont load at all (well, of the pages I use) but in google maps the actual maps dont load

- Ping works "64 bytes from 74.125.95.93: icmp_seq=0 ttl=50 time=141.412 ms"

- Nslookup finds youtube.com (74.125.47.93) altho this is a bit odd since entering that ip address opens google

- Have tried using chrome, no difference, same problems

And as I said before, if I boot with bootcamp to winxp I have no problems with youtube and / or google maps,

so cant be a hw fault.

Jun 9, 2011 1:43 PM in response to Bendrago

UPDATE as i am diagnosing all that i can.
Removed Flash completly from system.
Installed fresh copies of all browswers

Updated Adobe CS5 Master Suite to see if anything there would help

Checked Google Maps (no image just icons of were I am at, all browsers)
Checked YouTube.com (server not found, all browsers)

checked cookies

checked permissions

allowed exceptions

Went to Google Videos and went to third party places like Dailymotion that stream YouTube Videos (Works all browsers)
Tried YouTube Videos NO DICE all browsers

SO is the OS mimicing the mobile app issues, rebelling against Adobe? Are we about to see the full clamp down of the video, audio market? Not sure, but i have been in this industry for 20+ years and sure this is our first purchased Mac but not our first one. This is odd and from what I am noting from eveyone is.
YouTube, Flash, Apple, Google Maps all have issues on this one subject. WOULD be nice for Apple to address this and not the community. IS this turning out to be just like Microsoft?

Cant connect to youtube

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.