Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to create rules in Mail outside of Preferences?

Having used Mail/Preferences/Rules as the route to create new rules for messages in Mail, I have often thought that there may well be a simpler method which I have not yet discovered, to create new rules (as opposed to applying them) by highlighting the message in the inbox (or whichever mailbox you happen to be using) and creating the rule directly without having to mess around going through the Prefs routine. Anybody found a shortcut?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), LED Cinema Display

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 6:22 AM

8 replies

Jun 7, 2011 8:45 AM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

Thanks for your input - I understand how to use rules via preferences, but wondered if anybody had a shortcut within the Inbox window to create rules via a right-click command equivalent on a selected message, thus saving the time of having to go into Prefs/Rules, locate a folder, or create a new folder.

Anybody's further thoughts on this would be most welcome, even if it's a 'no - there is no other way of doing it outside of preferences'.

Thanks.

Jun 5, 2013 7:59 AM in response to andyBall_uk

Thanks for your helpful suggestion andyBall_uk.

I've had a quick look at the second link you included (

http://www.andreasamann.com/MacOSX/Mail_Scripts)but the developer seems to have stopped updated the scripts since Mountain Lion, so I probably won't tangle with one of those as I use 10.8.3.

However I'm going to trial MailActOn and see how I get on. I'll update once I have had a play.

Thanks again - always grateful for constructive replies.

Is it possible to create rules in Mail outside of Preferences?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.