Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the current Apple TV play files from a UpNP/DLAN equipped NAS unit?

Even if it will, I know to expect it to only play Apple-blessed formats, but I cannot find any info as to whether it will play from a UpNP or DLNA device such as a NAS. I know it will play from an open iTunes application, but that requires a computer to be turned on and that is not really an option in this case. I do have a NAS unit that would be great for it to read from.

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 8:22 AM

8 replies

Jun 7, 2011 8:32 AM in response to JasonM

i recently moved my iTunes library to a NAS from a directly attached firewire 800 drive. Apple TV works just the same.

i'm using FileBrowser on my iPad to access the files stored on the NAS when my Mac is shut down. once a movies starts playing, i can select my Apple TV via AirPlay and continue to watch the movie there.

i haven't experimented with non-iTunes friendly formats (.mkv etc.) but the developers say:

FileBrowser supports all the formats that the iPad natively plays, and for other file formats the "Open In" feature can pass files such as AVI to apps like CineXPlayer.

Jun 7, 2011 8:58 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:

JG, how do you find Filebrowser, I haven't tried it but have tried other similar apps, unfortunately over a period of time I found they started writing stuff and filling up my devices like there's no tomorrow.

FileBrowser works a treat. so far i've noticed nothing negative.

not using it all that often, though. now and then an episode of The Simpsons right before turning off the lights ...

Will the current Apple TV play files from a UpNP/DLAN equipped NAS unit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.