Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you manage your FLAC library

Hello

I import and buy all the music on my computer as FLAC files and convert them to MP3 V0 to put them in iTunes and on my iPod (since these won't play FLAC). I would like to know how others with a extensive FLAC library handle this. I've come at a point where I need to review my disk capacity.

Also, is there a way to manually change the number of times a certain song has been played?

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 10:50 AM

14 replies

Jun 7, 2011 10:56 AM in response to Tomovich

i convert FLAC's to Apple Lossless. i keep those on an external HD and have iTunes index them without adding the files to my designated iTunes media folder.

i then have iTunes convert them to AAC 256.

once the FLAC's are converted to Apple Lossless format, you could also use this script to populate your iPod:

Lossless to AAC Workflow v2.2

Two scripts assist with importing/managing Apple Lossless or AIFF audio files and sending converted AAC copies to a mounted iPod set to "manually manage songs and videos".

Lossless to AAC Workflow (CD->iPod):

Imports each enabled CD track as an Apple Lossless or AIFF file Makes a converted AAC copy of each imported file Adds the AAC file to iPod, deleting the original AAC from iTunes.

Lossless to AAC Workflow (iTunes->iPod):

Makes a converted AAC copy of each Apple Lossless or AIFF track selected in iTunes Adds the AAC file to iPod, deleting the original AAC from iTunes. In this way you can keep archived lossless files on your hard drive, and manageable AAC files on your iPod.

Yes, iTunes 9.1 will auto-encode tracks to iPod, but only 128 kbps AAC; these scripts enable use of your Custom AAC encoder setting.

Jun 7, 2011 11:09 AM in response to Tomovich

Apple Lossless files are pretty big so the number of songs on my iPods would be limited. if i want to play them in iTunes, i just mount the external holding the files and off i go.

AAC 256 offers very good sound quality (superior to MP3 320) so unless you're playing on a very good stereo/speaker set, you won't hear the difference (well, i can't).

Jun 7, 2011 11:40 PM in response to Tomovich

Tomovich wrote:

I just find it some kind of waste that you must keep the high quality file somewhere in a dust cabinet

you don't have to. when i started out, i was somewhat constrained for space so i went for the "split-over-two-drives" option.

And that you're forced to make and use a lower quality file.

iTunes and iPod can play Apple Lossless files.

Jun 8, 2011 12:15 AM in response to Tomovich

I sync Apple Lossless files to my devices (almost all of my library is in lossless) -- it works fine as Jolly says if you don't mind having less songs on them. That has never been an issue for me because I've never been away from my computer for long enough that I've managed to listen to every song that will fit on a classic. I just use playlists to rotate music on my devices according to mood. So, yeah. You're not forced to down convert files unless you really need to have your entire library in your pocket.

Jun 8, 2011 9:29 AM in response to Tomovich

You're probably referring to this much discussed issue:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=84101&st=25

I'll admit I can't explain the finer points -- but I read many similar kinds of threads there and I'm pretty confident that aside from this instance the consensus is that ALAC is, in fact, lossless. And OFC you probably want to use third party encoding software like XLD or Max.

The other issue a lot of people bring up is that there is no support for 24-bit files in ALAC yet. I mostly rip standard CDs so that hasn't been a concern for me.

How do you manage your FLAC library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.