Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Certified replacements

I bought my Verizon iPhone 4 in February and after a month I had done the 4.2.7 update and the phone quit working. I called Apple and they said this had been a fluke occurance. They said the will send me a replacement. I received the phone and I noticed it wasn't a new phone. I wasn't happy about paying for a brand new phone and having a certified like new (USED) phone shipped to me for a replacement, but I decided to try out the phone. After I had fully charged the phone, I let the sit on my table in stand-by mode. After 5 hours the phone beeped and I noticed the battery was at 20%. I called Apple again and they told me the battery was probably defected. I asked them to send me out a brand new phone. I received the phone the next day and it was brand new in the original box. The phone worked great for three weeks and I started having problems with the earpiece speaker crackling I think caused by dust on the speaker because it comes and goes. I called Apple again and they told me their policies, BLA BLA and they will send me a certified like new phone. I told them no thanks, after the problem with the first replacement. I called Verizon and they told me they will send me a new phone. The next day I received the phone, and it's a certified like new phone (NOT A NEW PHONE LIKE THEY TOLD ME). I went to sync the phone to my iTunes and it won't recognize the phone. I looked at the connector on the phone and noticed it's damaged. I called Verizon again and they told me the whole story on their policies, BLA BLA. They are sending me out ANOTHER certified like new phone. So you tell me, how a person can say that certified like new phones and just or if not better than phones sent new from the factory.

iPhone 4, Windows 7, CDMA Verizon

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 3:43 PM

5 replies

Jun 7, 2011 5:11 PM in response to grcy82

No warranty for any company guarantees the end user a "new" replacement.

Once the device is opened, it is no longer new.

Apple's refurb devices are generally as good as and in many cases better than new simply because a person has inspected and tested the device prior to it being sent to the user.

Sounds like you've had a really bad string of bad luck with multiple devices.

If there is an Apple store near you, I would strongly recommend you take your device there to get it replaced. That way, you can ensure the device is in acceptable condition and fully functional before leaving.

Jun 7, 2011 9:06 PM in response to diesel vdub

If you have any other electronic device that become defective under factory warranty, the factory place of purchase does not send or give a refurbished or certified like new device. That is the reason for the factory warranty. Certified like new or refurbished devices should be offered to people that don't want to purchase that device new or wanting to pay full price. If a customer pays full price for something and have a warranty, they should be given a new device no matter what someone sitting in a office come up with to save the company money. THAT IS HOW THOSE COMPANIES GO UNDER AND THE OTHERS SURVIVE!!! These problems that I am having are not just confined towards me, many others that I talk to or see on online forums have the same problem with these certified like new devices. Once the factory warranty expires and there is a problem with the device, then the company has the right to send the customer a certified like new or refurbished phone at a cost.

The only problem with taking to an Apple store is that the nearest store is 3 hours (one way) from me. I would love to take it to the store, so that they can take the phone I have now (which was brand new when I received it) and take it apart to clean or replace the earpiece.

Jun 7, 2011 9:18 PM in response to grcy82

No, way companies go under is by replacing used items with new ones. If you had your 1st iPhone for less than 30 days I would have returned it to Verizon and then had it replaced with a new one.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that if you've had your iPhone for 9 months and it fails it should be replaced with a brand new one? Why, yours is used. I know of no companies that make it a practice to replace units under warranty with new ones, they either repair your device (which Apple normally chooses not to do) or replace it with a service unit, which actually sometimes can be new. Are you saying that Apple is losing money over this policy and about to go under? This has been their policy for as long as I can remember apparently it isn't driving them out of business.

Jun 8, 2011 9:16 AM in response to deggie

Look at my case with TWO certified like new phones. One had a dead battery, the second had a bad connector port. Do you think that is right, after owning my first phone for 1 month and the second phone for 2 months? It shouldn't matter how long you've owned the device, that's what the factory warranty is for. (For protection). Once the factory warranty is expired, then the company can do whatever they please. You tell me if that will make customers stay with that company of go with someone else. I know that other companies have the same policies for warranty exchanges, but what I have gone through so far, that is not giving me a good feeling with Apple. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products, I have owned iPod's for many years. I couldn't wait for Verizon to carry the iPhone so I could get one, but what I have dealt with warranty exchanges, isn't making me feel good.

Jun 8, 2011 9:25 AM in response to grcy82

I've looked at your case and it is unfortunate. The only Apple product where I had two faulty replacements was the iPod Classic, 3rd one was a charm.

I strongly suggest that you buy a phone from a company/cell provider that only provides new retail replacements rather than service replacements (which may be new or refurbished). This will rule out Apple, HTC, Motorola, LG, Samsung, Nokia, Palm, Sony Ericcson, Sharp, Pantech and Blackberry. But maybe one of the other ones have such a policy.

As I stated, as far back as I can remember Apple has had this policy. Doesn't seem to have hurt them.

Apple Certified replacements

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.