Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Good External raid drive for video?

Small middle school that does a lot of video editing with FCP and 8th graders. We are going to purchase a new fully loaded 27 inch imac for our editing. We want to add an external drive. We have about 10 OWC triple interface drives that we have been using. Want to move to a raid set up (I think, not an expert on that). What is the best raid drive to purchase for use with FCP? Is raid the way to go for speed?

Intel Imac, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Lab- Intel iMacs

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 6:13 AM

10 replies

Jun 8, 2011 7:03 AM in response to Jeff Peach

RAID is the way to go for speed, but if we're talking about editing on a middle school level I don't think that kind of speed is needed. What kind of cameras are you shooting with, what codec are they editing in, and how many simultaneous layers of video will they be playing at once?

My knee-jerk reaction without the details requested above is to get G-Drives, and maybe have a G-RAID/G-Speed or two around incase someone is working on a project that needs the extra horsepower. If you have a given amount of funding the extra money could be spent on some other equipment or some plugins.

Now, that said, what kind of content are we talking about editing?

Jun 8, 2011 8:08 AM in response to soundman1024

We shoot with Canon HFS20 cameras. We ususally shoot with 4 cameras and edit using multiclip. Our basic workflow is like this ( I am new at the HD thing).

1. shoot with 4 cameras

2. Copy the Canon folder to our backup drive

3. Import to FCP as pro res proxy on another drive

4. Edit using multiclip

5. Create offline, reimport the HD media

6. Export HD quicktime

7. Compress for either HD output or SD output, depending.

8. Create SD DVD with DVDSP

9. Create HD with Toast for now, looking into Adobe Encore as it doesn't look like Apple will support the BluRay authoring for BRD.

That is the basic workflow.

Jun 8, 2011 8:54 AM in response to Jeff Peach

You didn't say multitrack before, which changes the game. Given that you're working with iMacs you may find your options pretty limited. Most RAID arrays connect using a port other than what an iMac offers. The next big question is do the iMacs have the Intel Lightpeak ports? Apple has some proprietary name for them that I can't think of right now. If they're brand new they have Lightpeak, if they're a few months old they don't. If you have a computer that is without your best option might be the G-Speed Q over FW800.

Jun 8, 2011 9:45 AM in response to soundman1024

Thunderbolt

A RAID will help you with the HD multiclips. If you're on Mac Pro's, eSATA interface will be nessisary. RAID over FW is less than optimal, as the FW800 speed is barely enough for HD footage, much less multiclip use. With a good RAID from OWC, G-Tech, any of the known brand names, you will be able to bypass the ProRes Proxy, and just ingeast as ProRes 422, and your workflow will be ProRes 422 from start to finish.

You don't have full authoring, but for 8th grade, Share's Blu Ray export/burn has some interesting menu templates with minor customization. But if you want them to have full Blu Ray authoring, Toast 11 Pro will be everything you need without spending to much money, or over bloating the Mac's with excesive softeare installs.

Jun 8, 2011 10:12 AM in response to BenB

So, in summarry, with this machine:

Configuration

• 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Imac
  • 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
  • 2TB Serial ATA Drive
  • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

We will boost the ram to 16 gb but not from Apple.

And a good raid drive connecting via Thunderbolt we may be able to avoid the proxy step.

Will we be able to avoid the proxy step with the same iMac and a firewire 800 drive?

Jun 8, 2011 10:45 AM in response to Jeff Peach

The trouble is there aren't any Thunderbolt RAID drives out there that I'm aware of, and first generation technology isn't always a good idea.

If you do Firewire you will HAVE to do Proxy, and I'm only estimating that it will work. When you factor in 800Mbps being an ideal maximum and that the drives have to seek from place to place so it isn't always moving data you're really pushing it to get FW800 to do what you need with ProRes Proxy on 1920x1080 60i footage - which is what I am guessing you are working with. Multiclip editing isn't really my thing, so I'm stepping out on a limb when I say FW800 will cut it.

Perhaps a refurbished MacPro with a RAID setup is a viable solution?

Good External raid drive for video?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.