Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the benefits?

Is there any benefits to wait to buy a MBP with pre-installed lion?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 10:25 AM

25 replies

Jun 8, 2011 10:40 AM in response to Onaissi

This is an excellent comment by eww:

"Buying your machine before Lion comes out will guarantee that it can run Snow Leopard, a mature and stable OS that's had its bugs worked out. If you wait until you can buy a machine with Lion preinstalled on it, it won't be able to run Snow Leopard, and you'll have no choice about running Lion even if it has annoying early bugs in it. Either way, Lion won't cost you anything."

Jun 8, 2011 10:42 AM in response to sig

sig wrote:

This is an excellent comment by eww:

"Buying your machine before Lion comes out will guarantee that it can run Snow Leopard, a mature and stable OS that's had its bugs worked out. If you wait until you can buy a machine with Lion preinstalled on it, it won't be able to run Snow Leopard, and you'll have no choice about running Lion even if it has annoying early bugs in it. Either way, Lion won't cost you anything."

Ahhh, excellent point. Thanks eww and sig.

Mar 7, 2012 12:47 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Hello

Personally I am having a nightmare, Purchased a brand spanking new 27inch with Lion pre - installed three weeks ago,I like to reinstall to get rid of Garageband and such that I dont need or use, to do this you need to use Recovery HD and then it will reinstall without those mentioned and it will allow you to download them via appstore if and when you want to put them on, fine, however if you have intermitant broadband issues like I and many others have or no broadband at all you are screwed!!! if something bad happens and you need to reinstall and have no internet connection how the **** are you supposed to repair, I spoke with a chap from applecare who understood my predicament,who expalined the following if such a case arises:

1. Take it to a friend who as a internet connection so it can download the lion to be repaired or reinstalled .

2. Take it to a apple re seller to so it can download the lion to be repaired or reinstalled .

3. To burn a copy to a USB to run lion from???

4. Check the internet for alternative methods to create a thumb drive.

Great stuff hey : )...

I explained to him that the Mac had cost me around £1500 so at least I should have the option of downloading a copy from the app store so I could burn to usb, I was told I should be able to do this but then got back to a day later to explain that because it was pre installed I dont have it on my app store account and I only have the Hidden Recovery Partion that needs the internet.

I dont know about you guys but I like to have my own copy to repair and install if any scenario arises, let's say I live in the country and have no internet connection and my mac suddenly stops working, what I would do on my old mac is to boot to dvd and repair or reinstall, not a option here I am afraid,because if you dont have a internet connection you cannot repair. I was told I can either buy a copy from the app store and then burn to USB or order the Lion on a USB thumb drive thus costing more money, it's the principal of paying for Lion when they should allow you to download it free from your account as you have paid for the system in the cost of the Imac.

Below are the ways of making a thumb drive that involves purchasing Lion to begin with:

Option 1: Put a full bootable Lion installation on the USB Drive with a recovery partition.

What you need: an 8G thumb drive and OS X Lion from the App Store.

What you get: A USB stick you can boot off and repair your Lion installation from.

Download the Lion installer from Apple App Store. DO NOT INSTALL IT ONTO YOUR COMPUTER OR THE INSTALLER WILL DELETE ITSELF. MAKE A COPY OF THE INSTALLER. If you have already installed it and it has deleted itself, go back into the App store and click on ‘purchases’ and next to Lion it will say ‘Installed’. Now option-click on ‘purchases’ and ‘installed’ will change to ‘install’ so that you can re-download the installer.

Format your Thumbdrive using a GUID Partition Table, and ‘ Mac OS Extended (Journaled)’, then you can run the Lion installer and install Lion onto the thumb drive.

More info here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Option 2: Create a Lion Recovery Disk.

You’ll only need a 4G USB Drive for this option.

What you get: A USB stick you can repair your Lion installation from, but not run Lion from.

If your Macintosh has an existing Lion Recovery partition (this will be the case if Lion came pre-installed on your machine when you purchased your computer from Apple), you can use this method. It will not be a full installer but it will use the internet to install Lion onto another computer. It involves downloading a program from apple called ‘Lion Recovery Disk Assistant’

More info here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

To test if you have a Lion recovery partition, Just hold down Command-R during startup and Lion will give you the option of going into recovery mode if the recovery partition is there.

Option 3: Make a Lion Installation USB Thumb drive like the one you buy from Apple.

What you get: A USB stick you can install Lion from – like the one that comes from Apple.

You’ll need an 8G USB thumbdrive.

1. Purchase and download the Lion Installer via the App store as in Option 1 above.

2. Right-click on the installer and select “Show Package Contents” and find the file called ”InstallESD.dmg” in the SharedSupport folder.

3. Use Disk Utility to ‘Restore’ this dmg file to a thumb drive to make a Lion Installation USB drive like you buy from the Apple Store. (the thumb drive must first be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with GUID Partition Table.)

What are your opinions on this, please don't have a go, I am pointing out a flaw and a bloody great at that in my opinion.

Cheers

J

Mar 7, 2012 1:01 PM in response to jackcarl

What are our opinions about what? Do you have any specific technical question? That's what these forums are for, not complaints about Apple policies.

If you don't want GarageBand, trash it and all its ancillary files. There's certainly no need to reinstall your OS to get rid of it.

Mar 7, 2012 1:12 PM in response to eww

Please read again my friend as the title of the Question was "What are the Benefits"

I was mearley pointing the non benefit of not having the luxury to repair or re - install if you dont have a internet connection I am aware that you dont have to reinstall to trash Garageband it was a starter to my non benefit reply.

🙂

J

What are the benefits?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.