Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do I find out where the master file is located.

Where in aperture can I find out where the master file is located? Nowhere in metadata can I find this info.

Going to spotlight every time and entering the file name is lame.

I am in the process of rearrangeing all of my larger master files onto an external drive.

15, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 1:36 PM

3 replies

Jun 8, 2011 3:55 PM in response to robinlamkie

If the Master of an image is Managed, the pointer to the file and the file itself reside in your Aperture Library.

If the Master of an image is Referenced, the pointer to the file is in the Library (they all are), but it points to a file location that is outside your Library. Right-clicking an image with a Referenced Master and selecting "Show in Finder" will open a Finder window showing the contents of the Finder folder containing the image's Master.

Can't tell from the inf. you provide, but once you have imported an image file, you should manage the image's Master ONLY from within Aperture using the tools provided by Aperture. (Except for back-up, which you have to do separately from Aperture.) Do NOT move, rename, delete, change metadata, or in any way "rearrange" Master files using Finder.

Jun 8, 2011 9:26 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

OK I will be looking up Managed because sometimes the "show in finder" is available and sometimes not. A lot of my images, even now in Aperture are in the iphoto library. !! I was very green when I got my mac a couple of years ago. My goal, even if I lose edit information is to put master files, which got huge with my new DSLR and my previous photos which are only a few thousand but I am about to add more to on an external back-uped drive.

I now know that it took me this long to get a handle of how these photo library handleing applications work. Steve Jobs described how most people get lost in a tree like style directory structure. Aperture has encouraged me to delve into some of my travel pictures I have kept all my life without that distraction of file structures to find a group of pictures.

I want to store my files on an external drive in a very loose folder system where they will always reside as Aperture grows, developes and changes.

Jun 9, 2011 2:58 AM in response to robinlamkie

I think you'll find this short introduction to Aperture helpful. (I wrote it in response to another poster. Discussions formatting has since changed. In that post, the text between plus signs -- "+" -- should be understood as being italicized.) I also strongly recommend reading and understanding the first seven chapters of the Users Manual before doing anything with any important images in Aperture. The User Manual is available on-line, as well as from the Help menu. Those chapters cover the lay of the land of this new continent called "Aperture". Until you know them, you will trip on ropy vines and fall into leafy crevasses. Tripping and falling is frustrating.

Keep in mind that Aperture is an image database, not a file manager (though it does some of the latter). Many users find it difficult to accept the novelty of having this image management primary (I had the same difficulty). The sooner you come to terms with this image-centered workflow, to sooner you will be able to take full advantage of what Aperture is and how it works.

Aperture won't lose your files. Your bargain with it is, in order to use Aperture to manage your images, you are going to let Aperture manage your image files.

There are many fine posts in the forum re: Managed vs. Referenced image Masters.

When you are ready to delve deeper, take a look at this discussion. RWBoyer's answer is full of insight gained from years of use, but as he says, "It really is very very flexible but you may just have to get some experience on your own before you see the light".

Where do I find out where the master file is located.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.