Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

view invisible files

How do I view invisible files?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 3:29 PM

7 replies

Jun 8, 2011 3:32 PM in response to Don Peterson

Open the AppleScript Editor in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and run the following:

tell application "Finder" to quit

if (do shell script "defaults read com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles") is "1" then

do shell script "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0"

else

do shell script "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1"

end if

delay 2

tell application "Finder" to run

The /dev folder on the startup disk can't be made visible in the Finder through this or any other method.

(58713)

Jun 8, 2011 3:32 PM in response to Don Peterson

Enable Finder to Show Invisible Files and Folders

Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following command line then press RETURN.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

To turn off the display of invisible files and folders enter or paste the following command line and press RETURN.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

Alternatively you can use one of the numerous third-party utilities such as TinkerTool or ShowHideInvisibleFiles - VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

Dec 10, 2012 6:26 PM in response to Kappy

Arent these commands missing a second line? I cant get them to work unless I type in 2 lines for each command. the first set is to show invisible files and the 2nd set is to hide them:

To show invisible files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE (press RETURN)

killall Finder (press RETURN)

To hide invisible files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE (press RETURN)

killall Finder (press RETURN)

view invisible files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.