You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop running programs.

I am using my Imac for recording purpose so I would like to stop the programs which are not needed.that may be running in the background.On my pc I go to the tak manager & find what is running.Is there a task manager type thing where I can go & stop running programs that use up CPU & cuase clicks & noises during recording.

Imac

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 3:15 PM

4 replies

Jun 8, 2011 9:20 PM in response to Ministrel

If you are not using iCal or iPhoto, it will not be running as long as you properly quit the application (i.e. with iPhoto open, click on iPhoto in the menu bar and then click on 'quit'). It will not run unless you launch it again - that is how the Mac OS works and the apps won't be using any memory if they're not running. You can see what apps are open in your dock - there is a little indicator below the icon. So, if you see that, click on the icon and then quit it. And, the apps are still there - they just aren't running.

If, on the other hand, you are talking about deleting them: that is not a good idea at all to mess with apps which are part of the system. If you should do it, there is no way to get them back besides an install from the install disk.

Jun 8, 2011 11:11 PM in response to Ministrel

You can use the Activity Monitor located at the Applications/Utilities. You can also access this by simultaneous pressing on your keyboard the following keys: Command Option and Esc. That would prompt you to a window called Force Quit. There you would see applications that are running.

Another option is like what is stated above, that you can see in your Dock what applications are running. You would see a little blue shining circle/oval below the open applications. Just left click for 1-2 sec the icon of the program you want to close and click on Quit.

Hope this would help you and good luck with your recording! 🙂

How do I stop running programs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.