Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues With Video Playlists

Good evening,

I have an issue that has started and I have no solution to. Nor does Apple Care.

Issue:

When watching a video playlist, the Apple TV will play continously through the episodes but after 2, or 3 (sometimes even 10 but never more), it will hang up and look like it is "buffering" for the next show but never play it. It turns out it is trying to play the video that is next NEXT in line. So, for instance, if there are 5 episodes in order, it would do something like this: E1 plays fine, E2 plays fine, but when opening E3, the Apple TV displays in the information (minus album art) that E4 is opening, but it will never actually open. It will just spin and spin and eventually the screen saver appears. The system is not frozen, and pressing menu and selecting any movie (even E3) will open and play just fine. This happens in both TV Shows and Movies, and on multiple Apple TVs.

All software is current on both iTunes and Apple TV. Here is what I have done so far....

- Updated software

- Restored Apple TV (one of them)

- Updated the iTunes library

- Chose a different storage drive and then Organized the iTunes library (thinking the hard drive was the problem)

- Tried different shows in a different Mac library (even reformatted 10 shows via iTunes as (Create an AppleTV version)

- Changed the Airport Extreme to a Cradlepoint N router

- Connected up via ethernet instead of WiFi

- Used a different Apple ID and turned home sharing on (thinking maybe it was freaking out because of some many devices (3 iPhones, 3 iPads, 2 Apple TVs, and 3 Macs) [Not a fanboy, just a fan because Apple stuff "just works." Well, maybe not....]

- Deleted Playlists and recreated them

- Accessed it via iPad Remote and selected the movies and pressed play (it plays them in a row that way; same result)

So, any ideas would be awesome. What is ironic about this is that it started out of nowhere and on multiple devices.

Look forward to some suggestions. To note, this issue was stated by another user here [May 22, 2011 1:11 AM] and can be found as the 9th from the top comment on support page https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2597977?answerId=12354525022#12354525022 I did not see any resolution on that discussion.

Thanks to everyone up front for your ideas.

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 4:22 PM

12 replies

Jun 11, 2011 10:36 PM in response to Crabitus

Crabitus wrote:

Any ideas? Tech support told me to write here as they said Apple engineers respond. Anyone find that to be true?

Thanks for the help

Apple/Apple tech support don't generally view these fora.

They are primarily user to user.

Sounds as though there's a software glitch either on AppleTV or iTunes.

The best route to let Apple know is:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

They do not reply however, but it'll get fed on to the AppleTV techies.

How do you know it's trying to play the 'next NEXT in line' not just the 'next' one?

Don't suppose your computer might be going to sleep or has external drives with media that are powering down and taking too long to wake?

AC

Jun 20, 2011 10:16 PM in response to Crabitus

I finally found the resolution to this issue. I must add that it was with the help of Apple Care tech support. I purchased a Apple Care plan for it for $29, which is the cost of the tech support call alone. In all the previous posts one thing has not been mentioned. The source of the video files in question. After creating a new user, and importing said video files into iTunes fresh.. they playlists played perfectly. I tried this with many different videos over hours. Not one glitch. The difference here.. The videos were playing directly from the hard drive and not from the 2GB USB drive they were stored on. To verify this, I went back to my original user account and loaded iTunes locally instead of from my storage drive. I imported over a dozen videos (tv episodes to be exact) and created a playlist.. Again, faultless playing.

So the final diagnosis is that the playlists will function normally when streamed off the hard drive, but NOT through an external drive. This is conclusive regarding the playlists not continuing properly however, it does not exclude that the playlists may play from another type of external drive such as a firewire drive or faster USB drive. I have not had a chance to test this yet. (but I will sooner or later since my video collection is too large to store on my internal drive)

Hope this helps.

Jun 20, 2011 11:21 PM in response to Crabitus

I also have made some progress too and the source files have been my thought too. The proble

That tosses a wrench in your deduction (as it applies to me) is that the files worked perfectly on the external drive for 3 months (playing everyday from 2 hours to 12 hours continuously. Further still, these are the same hows on the same drive for 2 years on the original Apple TV. All the sudden that stopped. I too thought the USB hard drive was the issue. I then bought a FireWire 800 drive and that has resulted in the same behavior. BUT, if I use my MacBook Air, all is well. Has been for 3 days. All on an external drive.

Now I DO believe the issue is will file structure or name. I've been thinking full system reinstall. I reinstalled iTunes to no avail. Personally, I store all documents in one folder so a fresh system install is actualy a bit refreshing.

I will let you know my findings.

Thanks for the response. I hope they can find a fix for this so it's not an issue. 2TB of a library makes it hard to just try something new.

Jun 20, 2011 11:58 PM in response to Crabitus

These kinds of issues are very hard to pin down as you may get the same symptom for different causes.

AppleTVs have never gracefully handled problems with file access and often give unhelfpful vague error messages, or preumably as in your examples just crash and reboot.

A corrupt iTunes library database file, missing files (eg inadvertently deleted or moved) or corrupt files could all make AppleTv hiccup.

Add to that issues with external drives or computers sleeping and taking a long time to wake, or not waking, might give timeout errors that AppleTV can't recover from.

It is often a useful step to either rebuild an iTunes library or to create a test user account to see if this helps but this is a bit fiddly and time consuming.

Sadly a memory leak/bug in the AppleTV software could also result in crashes/reboots.

AC

Jun 21, 2011 10:41 AM in response to Crabitus

Interesting situation there. Since I didn't come from the original Apple tv, I can't really speak on how it handled video playlists, my only knowledge of it is that you can store video directly on the device. I wonder is it possible that with the advent of Apple tv2, that the resulting software updates incorporated this bug into the software. One other thought that came to mind was when the previous poster Alley_Cat said "Add to that issues with external drives or computers sleeping and taking a long time to wake, or not waking, might give timeout errors that AppleTV can't recover from". I haven't considered that this drive could possibly go to sleep, even though the computer is being used and the video is streaming from the external drive, but it's something to look into. I would rule out file naming and structure as I imported the original titles back into the local drive and there was no problem with the playlist running from a local iTunes library. Once we add in the external drive variable, and I use the term strictly, due to USB speeds, drive speeds, drive manufacturer, types of cables and the infamous drive sleep variable, I can see where it would be possible to have a configuration that will work, and one that will not work. The big question is which configuration will work 100% of the time. Since I have about 7TB of storage drives attached to my system, it may be possible for me to temporarily run a new iTunes library from a different drive. Then we can see if it is drive related. (of course, having the time to do it is an issue but it would be worth it if I could determine if it's ALL external drives or only my 2TB drive that's giving the problem. I guess I'll post when I have some new findings. (Thanks OP for following up on this).

Jun 21, 2011 7:25 PM in response to Crabitus

So, some progress (or what seems to be).

We're all speculating here to some extent. I think it is safe to say the external drive is the "issue" here, though of course iTunes or the Apple TV is really at fault as it should be able to properly handle hard drives.

However, here are my thoughts. I have had it successfully running for 6 hours with no issue. I intend to leave it running over night simply to test the theory. To recap, I had:

- Reinstalled iTunes

- Restored Apple TV

- Moved hard drives

- Rebuilt library

- Moved to a different computer (multiple hard drives)

- Changed router

- Changed Home Sharing settings

- Changed Apple ID associated with Home Sharing

- Deleted Playlists, added playlists

- Tried movies, TV shows to no avail

- Went to ethernet connection

- Bought a new FireWire 800 3TB hard drive

- Used the iPad to try and "shuffle" the videos

In all, I found the exact same results, though different hard drives varied the time it took to fail. Frustratingly enough, the current FireWire 800 drive failed after every single TV show, meaning it never successfully played the next show in line. Errored out everytime after one show.

Due to the previous posts, it became clear the hard drives were behaving oddly. What I figure happened is once the video was streamed, the hard drive would sleep or spin down, creating an issue when Apple TV wanted to go to the next video file. I only recently had issues, and I had thought I hadn't changed anything, but I had. I went from a USB extension cable to directly to the iMac. I believe what happened is the connection became faster, therefore the drive had transfered the data quicker, meaning it had time to spin down. When I got the FireWire 800 drive, it would fail consistently because the data transmission is so much faster.

Regardless, success seemed to come (again, I am testing it with a glimmer of hope now) when I installed a small applet to frequently check for a "ghost" file on the hard drive. It is called Keep Drive Spinning and I hope it works.

I think this makes sense with why the internal hard drive works, in that it doesn't spin down like external drives because it is processing information to send to the Apple TV the whole time.

Anyway, please send out a small wish to ensure that this is success. In the meantime, let's hope Apple does something to address this. I wonder if Time Capsules exhibit this behavior?

Thank you to all for helping. With any luck, I will not post anything further except a woo-hoo tomorrow!

Jun 22, 2011 5:38 AM in response to Crabitus

I can also state that I've been performing my own tests of different external drives as well.. My observations and results. I switched from a 2TB USB drive to a 3TB USB drive, loading a new iTunes library and importing the same videos each time. The one difference was the 2TB was a MS-DOS (Fat32) drive, and the 3TB is a MacOS Extended (journaled) drive. The result..Same.. The playlist stalled after the first episode ended.

I also happen to have a firewire800 1TB drive. I have created the iTunes library on this drive and imported the videos again. This time... It is on the 4th episode with no signs of stalling. Since it's past my bedtime here, I can't really watch it all night but I will let it run and know in the morning what the results are. I am skeptical but also somewhat convinced that this will work. Which will mean, the playlists will play fine on a MacOS Extended(journaled) Firewire drive.

This basically, infers that there is a huge data bottleneck when streaming video through USB. Considering the video has to go through the computer to the external drive, back to the computer and streamed to the network to the Apple TV, It is neither uncommon nor strange behaviour for such large streams of data to reach a bottle neck through one of the many links. In this case, I think it happens to be the USB ports. It is playing fine from an older firewire800 drive. It has played 6 40min episodes without stalling between. So it's either a firewire drive, or bust.

(good luck crabitus)!

Jun 22, 2011 6:46 AM in response to Crabitus

As promised, I'm reporting a Woo-Hoo! It works. Given the massive amount of troubleshooting by eliminating potential issues, I feel very confident that keeping the drive spinning is the main culprit, even over connection type. Though, connection type matters because of how long it may take to stream the data and then if it can rest.

Good luck to everyone else and here is to Apple fixing the issue!!

Jun 22, 2011 7:55 PM in response to Crabitus

Dude, I have to tip my hat to you. All your hard work was not in vain. Out of curiosity I decided to try that program "Keep Drive Spinning" and I left it at it's default of 60 seconds.. I assigned it to the drive where I normally keep my iTunes library on. I ran the exact same playlist that originally caused me problems. I have watched six episodes of Star Trek, The Original Series (which I ripped with handbrake) and it hasn't stopped once. While all the other tests were pointless, they were necessary in troubleshooting this illusive issue but it was you who took the extra initiative to test the drive speed variable and realize it was the culprit. A heartfelt thank you is in order!

Just as a FYI, the Firewire 800 drive did play flawlessly too. It must be faster than my USB2.0. I don't know, but now I don't have to move about 400 gigs of iTunes media to another drive. I REALLY appreciate it. I would consider this issue resolved. Nice work.

Issues With Video Playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.