Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my iMac keep waking up from sleep

Why does my iMac keep waking up from sleep mode?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 27 in screen

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 8:53 PM

16 replies

Jun 8, 2011 11:10 PM in response to ronfromcudworth

1. If you have bluetooth equipment and if they're allowed to wake the computer (bluetooth advanced preferences - on the System Preferences app)
  2. A opened third party app, via its preferences, preventing your Mac from sleeping
  3. Energy Saving settings (wake on LAN - System Preferences app)

These were the ones I could think of… Hope this helps!

Jun 18, 2011 9:01 AM in response to ronfromcudworth

You mentioned Photoshop - is it version Cs4 or 5? If so, check the Bridge preferences - there's an option to have it keep running in the background.

I've not heard of this happening with Bridge, but, you might try turning that preference off, and see if the computer remains asleep. Or, call Adobe and ask them. Adobe's number is 800 833 6687.

But, generally, the reason the computer will wake from sleep is because a 3rd party (non-apple) Bluetooth device is "waking" it up. If you don't have any bluetooth devices, try turning off Bluetooth and see what happens (System Preferences > Bluetooth. Make sure the system is not "discoverable" with Bluetooth "off".)

Jun 18, 2011 10:37 AM in response to ronfromcudworth

My iMac has done this a few times after updating Apple software (most recently with iTunes, as I recall). I put the machine to sleep, and a few seconds later it wakes back up, all on its own. I don't have a reason why this happens, but some combination of restarting the computer and repairing permissions in Disk Utility resolves the issue 100%.

Jun 21, 2011 6:32 PM in response to GeekPod42

Look at the kernel log with the Console app. See if you have any lines that look like "Wake reason = ..." , where the stuff to the right of the equal would indicate the what's waking up your machine. Report back what's there if you have such lines.

FWIW, it could be a usb device waking your machine. The wake reason might indicate whether it is or something else. If there is no wake reason then more digging is necessary (...obviously).

why does my iMac keep waking up from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.