Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV doesn't accept my ID/password when iTunes does?

Hi. I'm new to using the Apple TV and must be doing something wrong as I am unable to purchase anything directly via the Apple TV. One of the nice things about Apple TV is the ability to rent HD movies that are not always available via iTunes. For some reason Apple TV refuses to recognize my Apple id/password pair. Itunes recognizes it , as does the apple site ... obviously as I logged on to write this.... but Apple TV will not. I tried resetting my password. I tried resetting my Apple TV to factory defaults .... No luck!!! I can use Apple TV to see my computer's iTunes collection so I can watch a rental as long as I rent it via my Mac but I can't rent anything at all directly on the Apple TV. I have full connectivity to the Internet. The movie/TV choices are available and I can watch the previews but whenever I attempt to rent anything I enter my ID and password and am told "Unable to Sign In The Apple ID you entered couldn't be found or your password was incorrect". Any ideas?????

AppleTV 2, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 12:20 AM

18 replies

Feb 22, 2017 8:17 PM in response to Sodivein

I have had ongoing problems with my Apple TV not accepting my iTunes ID/password and I am at the point of total desperation! I am very unimpressed with the way Apple TV doesn't want to play properly.

I have not seen a solution that works for me and have no idea how to solve the problem.

• I can log into my iTunes account perfectly on my PC (Windows 10 - wired internet access)
  • I am using a wired internet access on my Apple TV
  • I have reset my Apple TV and then enetered all the details necessary
  • The time zone is set to automatic and IS my local capital city
  • If I leave the Apple TV for 2 minutes, it DOES connect with my PC and displays the images from the folder I have selected on iTunes. SO, it IS connecting anyway to iTunes on my PC presumably using my Apple ID?
  • When I click on Computers (home sharing) on my ATV, I get the message "Would you like to use xxxx (my email) to turn on home sharing on this Apple TV"? I answer yes and I get "Unable to sign in. Your Apple ID couldn't be found or your password is incorrect (which it is NOT - as I entered it VERY carefully direct to Apple TV). Please try again".
  • At this point, I repeat till I quickly get totally fed up.

Jan 5, 2017 11:28 AM in response to jefffromnovato

It happened to me. Very puzzling . went up to my Mac pc. Clicked on Apps icon. Tested by clicking on a free app.

Was asked for my Apple ID. and email.

Entered - "have not bought anything from itunes with this Apple ID- Review your account"

I filled the boxes (they wanted to check it was really me - I had reset my Apple ID recently due to forgetting it) and...

the message to start shopping c

ame up.

I left my Mac. Returned to my Apple TV Box downstairs, signed in and Hey Presto I was away!

Jun 10, 2011 8:46 AM in response to jefffromnovato

I sorted it

I had the excact same problem when my ATV2 updated to 4.2.2. It took me over a week to resolve the issue.

I even went to the Genus bar at Gateshead MetroCentre. While there they connected my ATV2 to their systm and it worked perfectly. When I returned home and it was all connected again I still had the same problem.

So I looked at my set up and this is how I resolved the issue.

• Check your wireless router settings at the devices ip address. My original security setting was 'mixed WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK' this was then changed to 'WPA-PSK'
  • Delete the current wireless router settings on your computer (I have windows 7) and set up a new one with the new settings.
  • Close iTunes.
  • Open your security program (I use Norton 360) and in firewall then program rules delete itunes and then save and close.
  • Open iTunes.
  • ATV2. In settings check network is visable and if required create connection.

You should now be able to connect to your store account and your computer libarary.

The key is the router security settings.

Hope this helps.

Jun 11, 2011 1:49 PM in response to andrewfromcastlewellan

Hi.

You need to realise the problem is not with ATV2 so you can complete the update to software 4.2.2 when the ATV2 gives you the option.

• The problem is with your security settings for your router.
  • When you set up your wireless router for the first time you would have been directed to a ip address beginning http:// (then numbers). This address would be entered into the web address bar in your internet browser.
  • When you have signed into your router settings goto the security settings and change security type to WPA2-PSK. Save your new settings.
  • You have now completed the router changes required.
  • YOU WILL NOW NOT BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET (Don't Panic)
  • Now goto the network and sharing center (I'm using windows 7) and then into manage wireless networks.
  • Find the connection you just using and delete it.
  • Now follow your routers manufacturers instruction to create a new wireless connection.
  • When you have created your new connection and you have full internet connection that is the hard part over.
  • Goto your firewall settings and into Program Rules. Find the rule for iTunes and delete it. Save/apply the settings and close (Don't worry a new rule will be created the next time you open iTunes).
  • Open iTunes.
  • Goto advance and check home sharing is on, you might wish to turn it off then back on again.
  • Settings regarding your computer and router are now complete.
  • Switch on ATV2 and goto settings. Check network settings for network you have setup is visable, if it is not follow the ATV2 and router instructions to create a connection.
  • When you have checked the network settings return to the main screen.
  • Goto computers > turn on home sharing. The link below give you a step by step guide to setting up home sharing.
  • http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4352
  • You should now be set up and be able to see your itunes library.
  • You can now also sign into itunes store.

I hope this information helps.

If you need anymore help please supply operating system and security application details if possible.

Feb 25, 2013 2:18 PM in response to jefffromnovato

I know this happened a long time ago, but this just happened to me recently and I wanted to give a solution that I found- in case someone is looking now.

My password was not working on apple tv- even though I had been using it for months. All of a sudden it asked to for my password and it kept saying it was wrong. I tried my password on itunes and it was still working.

So...I did the following:

on apple tv- under settings- general- reset

You will have to set up apple tv again, but at least when you are done, it will finally work.

Hope that helps someone!!

Jun 26, 2013 6:13 PM in response to jefffromnovato

Since this seems to still be occuring for people, (it just happened to me) I'll add my 2 cents. I did not have to mess with any router settings or reset my ATV. In fact I am somewhat mystified because there was an update whihc I installed after having the password problem. After the update the problem persisted and so I went Googling and found this. It didn't make any sense to me to mess with router settings, so I thought I would first try just resetting the wi-fi connection. I did that, restarted the ATV so it would give me another crack at the password, and it worked flawlessly. So, it may be that all you need to do when this happens is reconnect to wi-fi and possibly restart the unit.

Apple TV doesn't accept my ID/password when iTunes does?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.