Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto 11 library rebuilding stuck...

I'm trying to rebuid the iphoto library and I seleted all the options that come up when u launch iphoto 11 with control+option pressed. now it says 'rebuilding library: 5382 versions restored" and its stuck on it. the wheel goes on and on. the cpu usage by iphoto is 100%. this is my second attempt. after the first attempt when this happened, I had to force quit iphoto 11 and then i repaired all my disk permissions, rebooted and then tried launching iPhone 11. the library was shown empty. this is my second attempt to rebuild it and its stuck. can someone help me out?

Neerav

MacBook 7,1, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPhone 4

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 12:11 AM

13 replies

Nov 5, 2011 8:46 PM in response to AceNeerav

I got a brand new imac this week and from day 1 had issues with events not being visible, missing all photos imported since iPhoto 11 and also rebuilding the library (it said it had rebuilt all 10,000 items but then just sat there with a spinning wheel - so i had to force quit).

This solution however worked for me: erasing the entire hard drive where the library was stored, then copying the backup library from my external hard drive over to the empty drive. I didn't need to rebuild anything and now my events are visible and the images within them. Only possible issue is that within the library in finder, my event names are listed only by date - even when i rename them in iPhoto. Not a big issue though. VERY happy to find a solution that worked!

cheers, mick

May 26, 2015 6:12 PM in response to diadcudel

iPhoto gave me a prompt that there was something wrong and it needed to rebuild the library. I clicked rebuild. It took about 20 minutes to get to 100% on the progress bar, but the wheel kept spinning, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, then at some point I looked over and something had changed and now it is updating thumbnails. Maybe the rebuild will work after all. So it seems that part of what is needed is patience. I have a new Mac Mini on Yosemite........ 1 & 3/4 hours after starting the rebuild process it is complete and I successfully closed iPhoto. My panic which drove me to this page was not needed.

iphoto 11 library rebuilding stuck...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.