Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 very large "other" memory after restore

I had to restore my iPhone4 and the other memory is now around 5gb.

I've done some fruitless searching here and on the web to find out how to get rid of it but have failed to come up with any solution yet.

Any help much appreciated.

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 12:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 3:11 AM

That large of "other" is corrupt data. Try restoring your phone from backup first, followed by syncing your content back to the phone. If restoring from backup does not fix things, you will have to restore as a new device to get rid of it. There is no way to directly delete it, other than restoring your phone.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2011 3:11 AM in response to Scotland1

That large of "other" is corrupt data. Try restoring your phone from backup first, followed by syncing your content back to the phone. If restoring from backup does not fix things, you will have to restore as a new device to get rid of it. There is no way to directly delete it, other than restoring your phone.

Jun 9, 2011 3:16 AM in response to wjosten

Interesting, however when I did restore the phone after it went array, that is when this other cropped up, does this imply I need to use an older back-up, which would be a pain? Or was the restore process just not completed for some reasons properly?

Annoyingly when I restored I had to reauthorise the computer and rearrange all the apps again which is a right pain so not that keen to do so!

Feb 13, 2012 8:32 PM in response to Scotland1

Good day all,

I have a 4S that had 5+G of "other" that I was trying to free up. I searched and searched, tried all the suggestions and had no success. I tried a full restore and freed up the memory but didn't want to loose all my settings, app folders, etc. After a process of elimination the solution that worked for me was to delete txt messages! When I went from the 3G to the 4S I restored from a back up. I've never delete any of my txt message history... so all that information, photos, videos, etc were being caried from one device to the other for like 3 years!

I started with a test. Pluged in my 4S, synced it. Registered 5.2GB of "other". I ejected the phone from itunes. I deleted my wifes txt message (with whom I txt the most). I plugged back in and "other" dropped down by an entire Gig!! So, I tried again with another that I txt often... and sure enough when down another Gig.

So, I decided to take the plug and start off fresh... I deleted ALL of my txt messages and my "other" memory went down to .52gigs!

This is why a FULL restore has been successful for those trying to clear out "other" memory. When you initiate a Full restore, you are cleaning out your entire memory of txt messages which includes large files of photos and videos!

So this is what worked for me folks! I hope it helps someone!

Sep 18, 2012 6:17 PM in response to Scotland1

Folks,

I know this post is a bit old, but I was facing issues with the memory of my 4S that had a large part occupied under the tag Other. In my case I figured it's corrumpted data due to be running Itunes Match. You know, when you try to play a song stored at iCloud but for some reason you lose 3G or WiFi...

All that I did was enter Settings, General, Usage, Music, and then I deleted all songs and audiobooks. DONE...

Hope I helped..

iPhone 4 very large "other" memory after restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.