Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost all contacts

I was looking up a contact using the search feature, search didn't find it even though I know it was there (have it on my iTouch). When I deleted the search terms (backspace until empty) all of my contacts were gone. I exited the app and went back in (figuring the search may have confused the app), still all gone.

Anyone else experience this?

If I resync with iTunes will that restore everything, or will it wipe out the contacts on my Mac?

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 5:27 AM

Are you a MobileMe customer? Do you sync your contacts from a PC or Mac?

One possible solution is to restore from a backup in iTunes where your contacts exist, then 're-add' anything which is missing. It's a chore, but contacts wouldn't just disappear like that usually.

Hope I helped.

7 replies

Oct 7, 2011 12:43 PM in response to Mike Lipay

Lost all of my contacts dure to iCloud (beta tester)

I had a zipped backup of ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book

! "~" above stands for your home folder

! In Lion you can go to ~/Library by pressing alt and clicking the go menu in Finder

(luckily)

Restoring that one didn't work at once, even when doing this while synch of contacts was turned off in iCloud pref pane.

I namely had all contacts in address book after restoring the backup folder, but they disappeared an instant after due to an iCloud sync.

The remedy was

1. switch off contacts sync in the icloud prefpane (confirm to delete all contact on the mac, didn't change anything anyway)
  2. restored the ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book/ directory from a backup
    think of a backup from previous system, Time Machine, manual backup, offline sync that's not damaged
  3. digged into this folder in another window: - watch out -
    ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Sources/4A17A948-7163-44D0-896A-E4A09C1154C0/'
    "4A17A948-7163-44D0-896A-E4A09C1154C0" is any single folder you find in there
  4. moved the following files and folders (not more)
    AddressBook-v22.abcddb
    Configuration.plist
    /images
    /Metadata
    to replace the ones in the parents folder parent folder
    ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book/
    (anything that smells of sync or offline neglect it)
  5. deleted the folder
    ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Sources/
  6. turned on the contacts syncing in the iCloud Pref Pane
  7. felt like a hero

If at all this has helped you, I can bet you are very happy, and I'd appreciate to know about it.
your contacts are worth tremendously much, and a manual backup, or a time MAchine backup for that matter is crucial for your happiness.

Oct 21, 2011 9:46 PM in response to DrewSmith

If you did this when synch happens on iPhone connection to iTunes like it happend to me, it is upsetting.

I tried to restore but it di not work. Finally I wen to my MACBook Pro and entered finder, Searched for

Address Book and it appeared. I drug it to my desktop and pend it and all my addresses and telephone numbers of my contacts were there. It is in an app. I think I will try to shuffle it back to my iphone by seeing if I can enter the app onto the apps showing up on iTunes. When when I sinch again it may go back to the iPhone.

Wish me luck!

lost all contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.