Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How common are hardware problems with iPod 6th generation?

My iPod nano 6th generation failed a few days after the initial 3 month service ended. Because of the 1 year limited warranty I was able to return it and get a replacement free of charge. However, in less than 2 weeks the new iPod also failed. I assume that Apple will repair or replace my iPod promptly as before. but now I wonder if there is some inherent problem with the product.

In both cases I was running with the iPod clipped to my waistband. The first failure occured when I tried to turn the volume down. I got a buzzing sound and could not shut it off, even after disconnecting the ear buds. Eventually it did shut off, but would not power up or reset. The second failure was more like a battery failure, but again this was a new iPod replacement approximately a week old. The iPod was fully charged the night before and I had been using it for about an hour. I was warned that there was low power and then it immediately shut off before I could turn it off. I plugged it in for about 2 hours and went through all of the troubleshooting steps on the site, but it would not restart. I have submitted another service request.

Here are my questions:

(1) It seems possible that this product is especially sensitive to minor shaking, as happens when I run. This seems surprising, since it has a built in step counter (which is why I take it with me). Has anyone else seen this problem?

(2) It may be coincidence, in which case I was either sent a bad replacement product or a replacement with a bad battery. The service is good, but has anyone else received a replacement from Apple that has problems?

(3) Finally, are there inherent problems with the iPod nano 6th gen. that makes it a worse product than most Apple products, at least in terms of reliability? Am I just having unusually bad luck, or is this a general issue? Or, conversely, are Apple products in general unreliable (this is my first Apple product)?

Sincerely,

Tom RHoads

iPod nano, Windows Vista

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 3:01 PM

Similar history. My first Nano 6 G had a screen that stayed black after c 2 weeks (would connect to computer ok). Got a refund & bough a new one.

After four months the new one stopped working during playback & wouldn't connect to the computer. Apple gave me a replacement 2 days ago and it's now got the same fault.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2011 3:01 PM in response to tomfromwilliston

Similar history. My first Nano 6 G had a screen that stayed black after c 2 weeks (would connect to computer ok). Got a refund & bough a new one.

After four months the new one stopped working during playback & wouldn't connect to the computer. Apple gave me a replacement 2 days ago and it's now got the same fault.

Aug 11, 2011 4:11 PM in response to tomfromwilliston

Worse History. My 6th replacement Nano 6G (I got the initial purchase in February) has failed today. Wish I could just get my money back.

I've had a Nano 1 G, 2 Nano 2 Gs, 4G, and a Nano 5 G in the past. Only one of the 2 G's had a problem - after it got dropped to the ground & driven over by a 1.5 ton station wagon. The 5 G got dropped i a car park, lost there for 2 rainy weeks and still worked fine. Apart from the broken 2 G they've all been cascaded to family or friend and all still work fine.

Other wish is that I could swop a 6 G before it breaks for one of my older nanos. but the 6 Gs never last long enough.

How common are hardware problems with iPod 6th generation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.