Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Cut folders/files/photos and paste them to e.g. differrent folder. cmd x does not work.

cmd+x works only on text but not on actual files. I know that I can move files without leaving copy of them behind, but how to actually cut them?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 17", 2.53GHz, Intel Core i5,8GB RAM

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 5:45 AM

3 replies

Jun 9, 2011 5:56 AM in response to Izabela07

As Linc says, that is not something you can do on a Mac. It's possible to do cut safely with files, but in order to do so, you have to make it work differently than with text, which is confusing and inconsistent. Apple does not like unsafe or inconsistent, so they have not added such a feature.

Note that you can just drag files from one place to another to move them. (For safety, this copies when moving from one disk to another, but you can force it to move instead of copy by holding down the command key when you drop the file(s) on the destination. This is not necessary when moving from one place to another on the same disk.)

How to Cut folders/files/photos and paste them to e.g. differrent folder. cmd x does not work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.