Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

End of Rosetta?

Does anyone know if Snow Leopard is the last OS with Rosetta support of PPC applications? Because Intuit has abandoned upgrading Quicken for Mac beyond PPC, it appears that Quicken for Mac is gone with Lion. Will likely cause me to postpone upgrading OS as I have used Quicken for over 20 years and cannot see anyway to replace it. Would sure be nice if Apple brought Rosetta forward.

MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 8:59 AM

38 replies

Jun 9, 2011 9:07 AM in response to Allan Eckert

From all I've read Quicken Essentials is a stripped down version running online. And doesn't have the investment tracking feature that I require. With the recent ascendency of Apple platforms, it still perplexes me that Intuit has turned their back on Apple. Quicken for Mac is the standard for personal finance and it is about to be gone. Like I said, I will likely postpone an OS upgrade.

Jun 9, 2011 9:13 AM in response to a brody

You are correct that it has not been officially state by Apple that Rosetta will go away with Lion. I have seen it on enough other sites though where I am in the process of getting rid of everything on my Mac that uses it just in case. So far most of the stuff I have found on my Macs is stuff I haven't used in years so I am simply deleting it.

Allan

Jun 9, 2011 11:39 AM in response to William Hamilton

I use Quicken 2007 in my small business to manage 3 cheking accounts (paroll, vendors on one; client trust and escrow on another; and "capital" ($ to and from me personally) on a 3rd. I run out an income statement monthly, and a year end, along with other monthly standard business reports, which lets my CPA speed up and simplify tax prepapartion.

If a PPC app (Quicken 2007) won't run on Lion, does anyone have a suggestion for a good, solid checkbook/accounting app that is Intel based and will carry three accounts, and will provide at least the basic bookekeeping and reporting services (like an income statement, a payroll report, a monthly expense report)? I've seriously looked around and the hype on web sites never gets to the specifics of what an app will really do.

Any input or "referrals"?

Jun 9, 2011 11:46 AM in response to pcbjr

Any spreadsheet will do the job. It amazes me after all these years, I have turned back to a spreadsheet because Quicken never quite did what I wanted. It was the killer app of the 80s, and still is second to none in the ease and customization. Both http://docs.google.com/ and http://www.neooffice.org/ provide solid free alternatives to a full Microsoft Excel. Once you design a spreadsheet it can do all you want. You don't have to setup dummy accounts, which I had to do with Quicken time and again to setup initial conditions. The up front design cost is a little more in terms of time, but once done, it is consistant, and will work the way you want.

Jun 12, 2011 3:27 PM in response to pcbjr

I've only used iBank for a day, but it does appear to provide an income statement in the same level of detail as your example. It does throw in some graphs as well. What apparently can't do is export that report as a text file for input into Excel, something I do all the time in Quicken. Need to research that. It does allow for an export to a file type readable by TurboTax, however.

Jun 12, 2011 6:24 PM in response to William Hamilton

William Hamilton wrote:

From all I've read Quicken Essentials is a stripped down version running online. And doesn't have the investment tracking feature that I require. With the recent ascendency of Apple platforms, it still perplexes me that Intuit has turned their back on Apple. Quicken for Mac is the standard for personal finance and it is about to be gone. Like I said, I will likely postpone an OS upgrade.

One alternative would be to install Windows via Bootcamp and run the Windows version of Quicken from there. Or use a virtual machine like Parallels. I actually bought Quicken Essentials to see if it would work as a replacement for Quicken 2007. Essentials is a disaster, useless to me.

End of Rosetta?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.