Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete the backups for an old Mac from my Time Machine drive?

Good morning,

I have an external hard drive that use for Time Machine backups. I previously used it to backup my MacBook, but earlier this year, I replaced this MacBook with a brand-new MacBook Pro, and have been using the same drive to backup that computer since.

The backups for my old MacBook are still on the drive though, in the /Backups.backupdb/[MacBook computer name]/ folder. I'd like to get rid of these backups as I have no use for them anymore and as they are currently taking up precious space.

I could just delete the folder, but I'm hesitant to mess with whatever Time Machine needs to do what it does. Does anyone know of a safe way to get rid of these old backups, without screwing up Time Machine?

Thanks in advance!

-Douwe

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 10:47 AM

Should I delete old backups? If so, How?

5 replies

How can I delete the backups for an old Mac from my Time Machine drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.